TORA Shirtwpd1a7d6db_05_06RLM_10_main_logoMSA_full
Donations
Donations options

Dragon Spacecraft successfully lands in the Pacific

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dragon Spacecraft successfully lands in the Pacific

Post by nickyf1 on Wed 8 Dec 2010 - 19:17

The SpaceX Dragon Spacecrafts three main chutes have deployed and is currently landing as I post this. It launched atop a Falcon 9 rocket earlier today from Cape Canaveral and becomes the first private spacecraft to re-enter and land safely on the Earth. The Dragon is to be used for Cargo to the ISS, and may one day carry US Astronauts to Low Earth Orbit.

The idea is to hand over the design process entirely to private companies and let NASA focus on coming up with hardware that could take humans back to the Moon, Asteroids, the Moons of Mars, or perhaps even Mars itself. It also, along with the Boeing CST-100, gives the USA an arsenal of crewed spacecraft that will hopefully provide cheaper access to LEO and will stop reliance on the Russian Soyuz capsule.

For the USA, this is also the first unmanned orbital test of a pressurized spacecraft intended for a crew since Apollo 6 in 1968.

Falcon 9/Dragon C2 will launch next year, on the 50th Anniversary of Yuri Gagarin's Vostok 1 flight by the USSR, which was the first manned orbital mission, and the 30th anniversary of STS-1, the first flight of a Space Shuttle when Bob Crippen and John Young flew on Columbia in a very high risk manned test flight.

Last edited by nickyf1 on Wed 8 Dec 2010 - 19:47; edited 1 time in total

nickyf1

TORA Race Number : 271
Xbox One Xbox 360

Number of posts : 10769
Registration date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragon Spacecraft successfully lands in the Pacific

Post by nickyf1 on Wed 8 Dec 2010 - 19:19

I can now confirm that it has splashed down in the Pacific!

The first American splashdown of any Capsule in 35 years, since the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project.

Very Happy

nickyf1

Xbox One Xbox 360

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyf1 on Wed 8 Dec 2010 - 19:36

recovery crew have put the floats onto the capsule, it should be successfully recovered now.

nickyf1

Xbox One Xbox 360

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyf1 on Wed 8 Dec 2010 - 19:52

SpaceX reports a 100% Successful mission. There is also a ''secret cargo'' onboard that will be revealed soon Razz

The CEO of SpaceX is Elon Musk, the guy behind Paypal and Tesla Cars.

nickyf1

Xbox One Xbox 360

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyf1 on Wed 8 Dec 2010 - 19:53

Here is what the Dragon looks like in Earth Orbit with its solar panels deployed:

nickyf1

Xbox One Xbox 360

Back to top Go down

Post by HCR generaltso on Wed 8 Dec 2010 - 20:21

i read about this earlier. good for them.

space exploration is about to enter an exciting new chapter after about 15-20 years of conversation.

HCR generaltso

TORA Race Number : 12
Xbox One Xbox One

Number of posts : 5694
Registration date : 2009-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyf1 on Wed 8 Dec 2010 - 20:36

Its refreshing to see such positive news about human space flight!

Doesn't this just remind you of the iconic images of the Apollo capsules being recovered?

I really am just expecting Elon Musk to peep out of the hatch Very Happy

nickyf1

Xbox One Xbox 360

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyf1 on Wed 8 Dec 2010 - 20:39

gen3ral ts0 wrote:i read about this earlier. good for them.

space exploration is about to enter an exciting new chapter after about 15-20 years of conversation.

amen to that.

nickyf1

Xbox One Xbox 360

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyf1 on Wed 8 Dec 2010 - 20:48

Musk is announcing for the first time right now that the Crewed Dragon will have a fully propulsive landing with gear, similar to landing the LEM on the Moon, except on the Earth Smile

The Falcon 9 second stage successfully restarted after Dragon seperation and is currently orbiting at 11000km up! He is now talking about how the heatshield could be used for Lunar re-entry speeds.. plenty of hinting towards NASA that he wants the crew contract..

nickyf1

Xbox One Xbox 360

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyf1 on Wed 8 Dec 2010 - 21:30

Elon Musk saying that NASA should consider the Dragon for any Lunar mission..

Shocked Shocked

nickyf1

Xbox One Xbox 360

Back to top Go down

Post by Radiation Louis on Wed 8 Dec 2010 - 21:53

Yeah except the fact that Obama cut the idea of us returning to the moon, and instead to go explore asteroids and other stuff beyond mars. which is stupid because they had a rocket ready to be put into mass production (remember Ares 1X test flight last year?) so now we're going to leave all human space flight to contracted companies and only worry about looking at giant rocks that we can't put people on!.... it's sad really but the launch was quite beautiful from here, falcon 9's got some serious grunt on it because it was MOVING!

Radiation Louis

TORA Race Number : 61
Xbox 360 Xbox One

Number of posts : 4710
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyf1 on Wed 8 Dec 2010 - 22:10

The problem with the Ares I was that it had not much use other than launching the Orion into LEO. Then you had the Ares V.. which would have needed larger crawlers and crawlerways, a larger VAB, larger pads and would have cost biblical amounts of money just to launch. The new plan will hopefully give us a Shuttle Derived HLV before 2020, and the Orion is well into development.

Ares 1X was a bit of a disaster, it only used a 4-seg SRB with a dummy 5th segment, plus it had a dummy second stage and a dummy Orion/LAS, the main chute of the SRB failed. Ares 1 was waaayyy underfunded, and the Ares V (which was the bit that got you to the Moon) had not even had a single piece of hardware built for it last year.

An Apollo 8 style mission could be done in the next 15 years, as long as the Government keeps funding the Shuttle Derived Heavy lift vehicle (but even then, there will be a major fight for it). However I don't see how a Lunar Orbit mission could not be carried out by a couple of Falcon 9's, an inflatable hab and a Dragon.

nickyf1

Xbox One Xbox 360

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyf1 on Wed 8 Dec 2010 - 22:20

Also, the COTS Programme was initiated in 2006, it has produced actual flying hardware with a fully functional launch vehicle and spacecraft which has orbited the Earth twice, re-entered and landed in the Pacific, all done by a team of 1200 people, and a guy called Marty who actually fixed one of the nozzles on the bottom of the rocket by hand this morning.

The Constellation Programme was initiated in 2004 under Bush, between then and 2009 it produced Ares 1X, a flawed test flight. It did produce Orion Pad-Abort 1, which was very successful though. But Constellation was underfunded by the Government, and politics killed it, way before Obama. Its ''Apollo on steroids'' approach killed it too. It was unsustainable and unrealistic. Why have a 10m core for the Ares V when Michoud already builds the 8.4m core for the Shuttle? Why not just use that? Its common sense really.

nickyf1

Xbox One Xbox 360

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyf1 on Wed 8 Dec 2010 - 22:28

Great shot with the chutes inflated fully

nickyf1

Xbox One Xbox 360

Back to top Go down

Post by Radiation Louis on Thu 9 Dec 2010 - 5:17

nickyf1 wrote:The problem with the Ares I was that it had not much use other than launching the Orion into LEO. Then you had the Ares V.. which would have needed larger crawlers and crawlerways, a larger VAB, larger pads and would have cost biblical amounts of money just to launch. The new plan will hopefully give us a Shuttle Derived HLV before 2020, and the Orion is well into development.

Ares 1X was a bit of a disaster, it only used a 4-seg SRB with a dummy 5th segment, plus it had a dummy second stage and a dummy Orion/LAS, the main chute of the SRB failed. Ares 1 was waaayyy underfunded, and the Ares V (which was the bit that got you to the Moon) had not even had a single piece of hardware built for it last year.

An Apollo 8 style mission could be done in the next 15 years, as long as the Government keeps funding the Shuttle Derived Heavy lift vehicle (but even then, there will be a major fight for it). However I don't see how a Lunar Orbit mission could not be carried out by a couple of Falcon 9's, an inflatable hab and a Dragon.

Highlighted area is the only thing false with this statement, the Ares 5 was to be 300 Ft. tall (just as tall as the Saturn 5 which is still the 2nd loudest man made noise ever!) would have used the same crawler just would have needed a different MLP (mobile launch platform) that the crawler goes under neath and carries. so thus the VAB and crawler would have been fine just would have needed a different MLP which they would have to redesign anyways with the new program, because the MLP's were modified from Saturn 5 to space shuttle (made to not have half the launch tower attached to it) and the launch pad's (last i heard before i stoped working out there) 39A was going to be for Ares I and 39B was going to be for the Ares V. and i also think the Ares V was supposed to be quite a few tons lighter due to not carrying all liquid fuel and was supposed to use 6 segment SRB's (but dont hold me to that last segment.

Radiation Louis

Xbox 360 Xbox One

Back to top Go down

Post by Radiation Louis on Thu 9 Dec 2010 - 5:21

also both Ares rockets were to use equipment derived from Space shuttle parts such as the engine's SRB's and Liquid fuel tank that way no one lost their current job's which unfortunatly is happening. So scrapping the Ares prject is S^&tcanning 10 thousand's of people all accross the country.

Radiation Louis

Xbox 360 Xbox One

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyf1 on Thu 9 Dec 2010 - 10:09

But the Ares V would have used a 10m wide tank, which would have meant Michoud would have to be torn apart just to fit the damn thing in. The Ares I could hardly get to LEO in the first place, the Orion would have to inject into LEO. The Ares I never had much funding last year, never mind the Ares V. It was going to die anyway.

The new Shuttle Derived Launch Vehicle will use the Shuttle 8.4 metre tank and will initially use the same 4 seg SRB's that the Shuttle uses with SSME's attatched to the bottom of the tank, which should keep some shuttle jobs going. All that needs to be decided on is the upper stage. There will always be job losses at the end of a space programme, the same thing happened with Apollo, and the same thing is happening here, its tough to watch, but it happens.

nickyf1

Xbox One Xbox 360

Back to top Go down

Post by Radiation Louis on Thu 9 Dec 2010 - 17:36

nickyf1 wrote:But the Ares V would have used a 10m wide tank, which would have meant Michoud would have to be torn apart just to fit the damn thing in. The Ares I could hardly get to LEO in the first place, the Orion would have to inject into LEO. The Ares I never had much funding last year, never mind the Ares V. It was going to die anyway.

The new Shuttle Derived Launch Vehicle will use the Shuttle 8.4 metre tank and will initially use the same 4 seg SRB's that the Shuttle uses with SSME's attatched to the bottom of the tank, which should keep some shuttle jobs going. All that needs to be decided on is the upper stage. There will always be job losses at the end of a space programme, the same thing happened with Apollo, and the same thing is happening here, its tough to watch, but it happens.

Still would have fitted Saturn 5 was 10.06 m (33.00 ft). saturn still remains the biggest space craft ANYONE has successfully launched.... i say successfully becuase the russians tried to launch a 17 engined rocket years ago and it didn't even lift off..... it just went boom!

Radiation Louis

Xbox 360 Xbox One

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyf1 on Thu 9 Dec 2010 - 18:04

The problem with the N1 was a mixture of underfunding and the death of Korolev, the Soviet programmes lead engineer, which lead to the descision of using existing engines in a massive cluster for the first stage.

The Saturn V is something we may never see the likes of again for a long time. It all comes down to political will and how many bucks the politicians are willing to spend.

My point was however, the 10m core of the Ares V is totally unnecessary as all the infrastructure is in place already to support a Shuttle sized core. Why spend all that money building new infrastructure at KSC (new MLP) and Michoud (new factory, new barge) when using the already well proven and reliable 8.4m core would not need such upgrades?

Just look how expensive the Ares I ML was, and now it can't be used as the ML was designed for the Ares I only.

nickyf1

Xbox One Xbox 360

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on Thu 9 Dec 2010 - 18:13

Hmmmm The Online Space Association? Razz

Matt
jenson09

TORA Race Number : 10
Xbox One PC

Number of posts : 13713
Registration date : 2008-08-05

http://forums.theonlineracingassociation.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Radiation Louis on Thu 9 Dec 2010 - 18:23

the MLP would have to get redesigned regardless with the new project, the MLP ares 1X flew on was a heavily modified space shuttle one that they no longer use (there are 4 of them in total) but with the new project they would do what they did with Saturn 5 and recyle what they could of the old ones as for the size in relavance to saturn 5... nothing that big will ever need to be made to transport to the moon or further, back then we didnt have all the super lightweight materials we have now, now did we have the super powerful SRB's (still the most powerfull rockets built in terms of thrust)

Radiation Louis

Xbox 360 Xbox One

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyf1 on Thu 9 Dec 2010 - 18:40

I remember looking at the Ares IX launch, and it had the same triangular layout that the Shuttle MLP would usually have, it even had two red water membranes to hold in the water from the sound suppression system in each SRB hole, didn't look that modified to me.

And would I be right in saying that that particular MLP was used for the Ares I ML (as shown below)?

nickyf1

Xbox One Xbox 360

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyf1 on Thu 9 Dec 2010 - 20:37

Matt wrote:Hmmmm The Online Space Association? Razz

God yes! Download Orbiter Space Flight Simulator and we can start Razz

nickyf1

Xbox One Xbox 360

Back to top Go down

Post by Radiation Louis on Thu 9 Dec 2010 - 22:04

that is the very one, it still sits next to the VAB to this day and can be seen from 15 miles away! but yes as for the water membranes you are talking about they are not for sound supression but FIRE supression, if you watch the night time shuttle launches the launch pad, even with water being dumped on glows red hot in a lot of area's from the heat of the SRB's. Having experienced a night launch on NASA's Cape Kennedy i dont doubt for one second that those things are hot because i had to wear sunglasses at night when the launch was going to keep from seeing blue dots all over, it was like a sunrise in the dark (bright light in the sky but the sky was still black hence the sunrise in the dark description) was also odd to see a rainbow in the dark too, for there was a lot of moisture in the air. one of these on the next launch ill break out the camera and do a video of it just so you guys can get an idea how far away you can be and still see it going.

Radiation Louis

Xbox 360 Xbox One

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyf1 on Thu 9 Dec 2010 - 22:31

Please do, that would be awesome.

I heard that the launch Apollo 17, the first night launch of the Saturn V, cast shadows across Florida from East to West.

nickyf1

Xbox One Xbox 360

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:00

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top