TORA - The Online Racing Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» ANNOUNCING EZT MOTORSPORT SPECRACING SERIES 2 (FM)
LMP1 tuning for when aero goes bad. EmptyMon 22 Apr 2024 - 16:59 by EZT Neo 45

» Nasal8405 Bout Me
LMP1 tuning for when aero goes bad. EmptySun 21 Apr 2024 - 10:12 by EZT MAKO 6669

» New to League Racing!
LMP1 tuning for when aero goes bad. EmptyMon 27 Nov 2023 - 15:18 by EZT MAKO 6669

» Returning driver IBlueIJaBBRexI
LMP1 tuning for when aero goes bad. EmptyTue 14 Nov 2023 - 14:53 by EZT MAKO 6669

» Hello
LMP1 tuning for when aero goes bad. EmptyMon 6 Nov 2023 - 0:25 by Rudie

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Stints
LMP1 tuning for when aero goes bad. EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 22:04 by zrolizac

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Qualifying
LMP1 tuning for when aero goes bad. EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 22:00 by zrolizac

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Live Timing
LMP1 tuning for when aero goes bad. EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 21:57 by zrolizac

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Carlist and Build Rules
LMP1 tuning for when aero goes bad. EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 21:50 by zrolizac

Facebook

LMP1 tuning for when aero goes bad.

+2
Texaspotatolord
JVz
6 posters

Go down

LMP1 tuning for when aero goes bad. Empty LMP1 tuning for when aero goes bad.

Post by JVz Wed 10 Jul 2013 - 2:31

After experiencing a fun couple of hours racing with 100% aero damage on the front and sides, I've decided I'd like to figure out how to tune an LMP car that doesn't understeer terribly when faced with aero damage. My hypothesis is that you can tune the car to oversteer greatly, but then counter that with lots of rear aero to bring it back to a more stable state. I don't know if that's even feasible, nor do I know if that would be very smart to do, but I think it's worth pursuing as an option. These LMP cars really, really rely on aero, and when that goes, these cars seem to handle about as well as the SSC Ultimate Aero!

So what I'm looking for is advice on how to approach this. I'm using the Aston Martin Lola, but I'm pretty sure this idea would apply to any of the LMP or LMPC cars. It's kind of hard to test without intentionally crashing and pitting to get your aero screwed up, and then it's further harder to make specific aero damage on a consistent basis.

I was also thinking that getting hit from behind and getting the opposite aero damage that I experienced would affect things differently, but then again, any aero damage on the LMP cars seems to cause consistent understeer. 100% aero damage all around makes the car a bit slippery, but that's to be expected, really.
JVz
JVz

TORA Race Number : 625
Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2013-06-24

http://mjunx.org/

Back to top Go down

LMP1 tuning for when aero goes bad. Empty Re: LMP1 tuning for when aero goes bad.

Post by Texaspotatolord Wed 10 Jul 2013 - 2:57

No matter what you do the car is going to be ruined with aero damage. Trying to tune for that will probably just ruin your good condition performance.

Texaspotatolord

TORA Race Number : 597
Number of posts : 546
Registration date : 2013-01-08

Back to top Go down

LMP1 tuning for when aero goes bad. Empty Re: LMP1 tuning for when aero goes bad.

Post by CQR Myles Wed 10 Jul 2013 - 8:47

Put as little aero on as you can, then mess with the roll bars (quite stiff for high speed tracks) until its balanced. And don't crash even if it means you trundle along on this track aero damage will wreck your race

Last edited by MYLES PR0WER on Wed 10 Jul 2013 - 12:05; edited 1 time in total
CQR Myles
CQR Myles

TORA Race Number : 226
PC Xbox One

Number of posts : 1274
Registration date : 2013-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by CRA Project182R Wed 10 Jul 2013 - 9:43

LMP1 Cars are horrific with aero damage.
CRA Project182R
CRA Project182R

TORA Race Number : 782
Xbox One Xbox 360

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2009-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by JVz Thu 11 Jul 2013 - 6:28

It seems as though stiffening the ARBs helped a bit with minor aero damage. Thanks for the tip!
JVz
JVz

Back to top Go down

Post by CRA Project182R Thu 11 Jul 2013 - 11:01

The car will start to handle like a pig when it hasn't got aero damage though won't it?
CRA Project182R
CRA Project182R

TORA Race Number : 782
Xbox One Xbox 360

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2009-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by JVz Thu 11 Jul 2013 - 18:05

Of course, but doing anything to help it corner faster with no aero can help me stay in the race to the end.
JVz
JVz

Back to top Go down

Post by LZR Harmonic Fri 12 Jul 2013 - 17:38

On almost all of the tracks in the season, you want to run full aero. Of course this means you'll suffer more when taking damage, but keep your nose clean and it'll be worth it. But if you cannot avoid damage, there are only 2 things you can do: deal with the pile of garbage you have left, or balance the aero by taking more damage on another end of the car.
LZR Harmonic
LZR Harmonic

TORA Race Number : 273
Xbox One Playstation 4

Number of posts : 1119
Registration date : 2013-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by HCR Motorhead Sat 13 Jul 2013 - 13:13

Basically just keep your nose clean. Remember you're racing not just your lobby but every other one too, just like TEC. So you don't want to get damage.

Tune your car to go as good as you and it can. Then if something goes wrong you gotta adapt.
HCR Motorhead
HCR Motorhead

TORA Race Number : 4
PC Number of posts : 3084
Registration date : 2012-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down