TORA - The Online Racing Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» ANNOUNCING EZT MOTORSPORT SPECRACING SERIES 2 (FM)
NA Mazda MX-5 Cup Car - General Discussion EmptyMon 22 Apr 2024 - 16:59 by EZT Neo 45

» Nasal8405 Bout Me
NA Mazda MX-5 Cup Car - General Discussion EmptySun 21 Apr 2024 - 10:12 by EZT MAKO 6669

» New to League Racing!
NA Mazda MX-5 Cup Car - General Discussion EmptyMon 27 Nov 2023 - 15:18 by EZT MAKO 6669

» Returning driver IBlueIJaBBRexI
NA Mazda MX-5 Cup Car - General Discussion EmptyTue 14 Nov 2023 - 14:53 by EZT MAKO 6669

» Hello
NA Mazda MX-5 Cup Car - General Discussion EmptyMon 6 Nov 2023 - 0:25 by Rudie

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Stints
NA Mazda MX-5 Cup Car - General Discussion EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 22:04 by zrolizac

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Qualifying
NA Mazda MX-5 Cup Car - General Discussion EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 22:00 by zrolizac

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Live Timing
NA Mazda MX-5 Cup Car - General Discussion EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 21:57 by zrolizac

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Carlist and Build Rules
NA Mazda MX-5 Cup Car - General Discussion EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 21:50 by zrolizac

Facebook

NA Mazda MX-5 Cup Car - General Discussion

+9
XPR Forbidden
WhoIsJohn117
HorZa IX
CQR Rogue
PROD DTechR
Ax4x Mikey J
Radiation Louis
Capt10 Morgan
RumbleBee 392
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

NA Mazda MX-5 Cup Car - General Discussion Empty NA Mazda MX-5 Cup Car - General Discussion

Post by RumbleBee 392 Thu 10 Jul 2014 - 5:45

Welcome to our first ever North American Spec Cup featured in TORA's Pitlane.

Season 1 will feature the Mazda MX-5 Cup Car.

NA Mazda MX-5 Cup Car - General Discussion 09-mx510

"When the original Mazda Miata MX-5 was introduced in 1989, Mazda knew they had reinvented the roadster. What they didn't know was that they would also be reshaping the nation's motor sports landscape. The MX-5's combination of a light weight chassis, 50/50 balance, and neutral handling made it a true sports car – one that would be at home on the track as well as the road." - © 2014 MAZDA MOTOR OF AMERICA, INC.

Enjoy!
RumbleBee 392
RumbleBee 392

Xbox One PC

Number of posts : 3126
Registration date : 2012-04-18

Back to top Go down

NA Mazda MX-5 Cup Car - General Discussion Empty Re: NA Mazda MX-5 Cup Car - General Discussion

Post by Capt10 Morgan Fri 11 Jul 2014 - 1:34

Really want to join this series and make it my 2nd TORA event.  I LOVE the fact that it is catering to us non-euro's so we can actually participate during the week!  Anyone want to share a good generic "open source" tune for this setup?  Something I might be able to just tweak for each race?  I SUCK at tuning. (So spec cup might not be the right series for me to join, lol)  Probably not, but it's worth a shot though, right?  (Now I need to go practice and see if I can drive without TCS on.  Never even attempted it before, so I might not even be able to join this series.)

(Also, a complete side note for future series.  There is probably a good reason, and I'm REALLY new to TORA... but just curious why both series I have entered have a car that is at the bottom end of its class as far as PI.  If there are multiple cars, I get different settings to balance.  But with a series like this with the same car and PI, just wondering why not have it at least close to maxed.  The reason I ask is because I want to spend plenty of time getting to know the car, etc, but would be nice to be competitive in lobbies or rivals and stuff.  So I could use the car everywhere instead of just hotlapping for practice.  Again... I'm a noob, so ignore my ignorance.  But if there isn't a specific reason for it, perhaps it is something that could be considered in the future?)

EDIT: I REALLY hope that didn't come across as "complaining" about the car choice or anything. I like things that make me drive new cars. It was just an honest question and I'm sure there is a good reason.
Capt10 Morgan
Capt10 Morgan

TORA Race Number : 426
Xbox One Playstation 4

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2014-05-08

Back to top Go down

NA Mazda MX-5 Cup Car - General Discussion Empty Re: NA Mazda MX-5 Cup Car - General Discussion

Post by Radiation Louis Fri 11 Jul 2014 - 2:48

mainly because we make builds that make cars easier to drive from the get go. for instance the F2000 car. Putting the max tire width on that car up's the PI but makes the car harder to drive and more difficult to tune because it goes out of balance.
Radiation Louis
Radiation Louis

TORA Race Number : 61
Xbox 360 Xbox One

Number of posts : 5111
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ax4x Mikey J Fri 11 Jul 2014 - 2:51

Cap10MorgueN, there are a few reasons for this. One is to keep people from grabbing a leaderboard tune (not sure if thats an issue in FM5, but was in 4) another is to limit the amount of tuning required (makes it easier for newbies and makes the driver more important than the tuner) and three, it is closer to real world SCCA Spec Miata racing (and IMO is the most important reason of all)
Ax4x Mikey J
Ax4x Mikey J

TORA Race Number : 18
Xbox 360 Xbox One

Number of posts : 13800
Registration date : 2012-04-20

http://ax4x.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by RumbleBee 392 Fri 11 Jul 2014 - 5:16

Cap, XPR Venom has a tune up(i think) that i have currently and its a great base tune for all the tracks. If you like it, then we can get you the setup.

As for the car and the settings, i feel you will get along with it very nicely Smile
RumbleBee 392
RumbleBee 392

Xbox One PC

Back to top Go down

Post by Capt10 Morgan Fri 11 Jul 2014 - 14:01

WOW! Didn't expect so many answers, lol. Thanks! Again, I was pretty sure there was a reason, but was just curious. I know a lot of thought goes into the cars and balancing. (From what I have read, it can be a nightmare!) By no means was I 2nd guessing that or anything.

And thanks for the tune recommendation! I am going to go look for it now and see if I can learn to drive without traction control on. Funny thing is, I think I might have already gotten the hang of it, but not sure. I tried a lap or 2 last night, but didn't do so hot. (Not TOO bad either) Then I guess when I went to turn it back on, I accidentally hit STM only instead of TCS only. Went into a couple hoppers and won some races, until I was in S class and took out the Viper. THAT is when I realized TCS was off. (Actually won that race too, but only after I slid around a corner and bumped another S class trying to pass me) Funny, I didn't even know it for like 10 races, lol. I've never noticed STM help at all, but then again, I've never had STM on with TCS off. Hopefully I learned how to drive without TCS and not just a fluke with STM actually helping, lol.
Capt10 Morgan
Capt10 Morgan

Xbox One Playstation 4

Back to top Go down

Post by RumbleBee 392 Fri 11 Jul 2014 - 14:24

Its funny how some cars on fm5 are just easier to drive with TCS off. We find ourselves doing the same thing now and again.

The main reason for the MX-5 was because the car has a great balance to it that with a little bit of practice, the TCS control won't engage if the assist is even turned on. But I hope that doesn't discourage you, because if you need any tips, I'm sure any of us can be online to help you out.
RumbleBee 392
RumbleBee 392

Xbox One PC

Back to top Go down

Post by PROD DTechR Fri 11 Jul 2014 - 14:48

Greetings to all,

If some one need a tune for this Cup, mine will be available tonight. Thank you!
PROD DTechR
PROD DTechR

TORA Race Number : 554
Xbox One Xbox 360

Number of posts : 926
Registration date : 2012-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by CQR Rogue Fri 11 Jul 2014 - 15:05

I would recommend the following of which takes a lot of practice but in the end you end up 4 seconds quicker Smile

Turn all assists off maybe leave racing line on (preference
Turn Steering type to simulation

Go to leader boards in a similar car watch replays back where top guys drive with no assists see where the break how the power out of corners in the end you get a lot of tips and experience which in turn you replicate make yourself a better driver Smile

Takes time but well worth it
CQR Rogue
CQR Rogue

TORA Race Number : 47
Xbox One PC

Number of posts : 15745
Registration date : 2008-08-16

http://www.theonlineracingassociation.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by RumbleBee 392 Fri 11 Jul 2014 - 15:13

And with these cars, its all about momentum. And using as much speed and track as possible, which in the case for Long Beach you'll be on your toes 90% of the lap.
RumbleBee 392
RumbleBee 392

Xbox One PC

Back to top Go down

Post by Capt10 Morgan Fri 11 Jul 2014 - 15:28

Thanks.  Actually, I either learned a lot last night, or it was the tune.  I'm thinking a LOT of it had to do with the tune! I just ran 10 laps and the car felt great.  You are right, doesn't need TCS.  (Except the last turn at Sebring...can't stop from "drifting" around that turn, lol)

And thanks for the idea about the replays.  I did a lot of that in Pro Enduro.  There were actually some people with an 807 PI BMW on the LB's (most were TORA, but not all... wierd)  Learned a LOT!  Especially watching in car view and watching when they shift, what gear, etc.  Got a lot faster for sure, but still have a long way to go!  I definitely need to watch some videos to learn how to take that last turn in a car without TCS.  I'm used to relying on TCS to get me around that corner.   Embarassed
Capt10 Morgan
Capt10 Morgan

Xbox One Playstation 4

Back to top Go down

Post by CQR Rogue Fri 11 Jul 2014 - 16:26

Awesome dude Smile
CQR Rogue
CQR Rogue

TORA Race Number : 47
Xbox One PC

Number of posts : 15745
Registration date : 2008-08-16

http://www.theonlineracingassociation.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Capt10 Morgan Fri 11 Jul 2014 - 17:18

Thanks. Got a long way to go to get anywhere near that 2:35 Kilroy mentioned (after only 6 laps) in the calendar thread. But I guess I'm happy with the progress I've already made. My first 10 laps were around 2:44, lol. Then the next 5 laps basically shaved a second off each time. Still at 2:39 for now. Good thing I have plenty of time to get more practice in. I know I'm not gonna be the fastest, but I would like to at least SEE the cars in front of me during the race!  pirat 
Capt10 Morgan
Capt10 Morgan

Xbox One Playstation 4

Back to top Go down

Post by RumbleBee 392 Fri 11 Jul 2014 - 17:55

I want to say Me and Venom were flying around Sebring in the 2:32s but I wasn't paying attention to lap times as we kept swapping spots.
RumbleBee 392
RumbleBee 392

Xbox One PC

Back to top Go down

Post by Capt10 Morgan Fri 11 Jul 2014 - 18:17

Well damn you and your 2:32's!!!  Razz  I just watched a few more replays and then cut off 2 more seconds. Was feeling pretty good about that 2:37 for a minute. Then you had to go and ruin it all! Just kidding, I'm sure some ridiculous times ill be posted by race day. I know I've got a lot left also. I actually just figured out I'm faster in some turns if I just let it get a little loose and stop worrying about trying to keep it glued to the track. Maybe its the car or maybe it's learning no TCS, but kind of blew my mind when my lap times were getting faster when I was screwing up and losing grip on a couple turns. Who knew? lol
Capt10 Morgan
Capt10 Morgan

Xbox One Playstation 4

Back to top Go down

Post by RumbleBee 392 Fri 11 Jul 2014 - 18:22

Funny you should say that, cuz in some cars TCS on is slower. As the car still grips, a lil spin is great but when the TCS comes on, its a power limiter. So if you spin the tires, your still getting max power out of the car. When TCS activates, your actually getting less as the car takes power away to regain traction.
RumbleBee 392
RumbleBee 392

Xbox One PC

Back to top Go down

Post by HorZa IX Sat 12 Jul 2014 - 10:32

Not longed signed up at TORA and think this will be my first official event so I'm really looking forward to it.

Cap, if it makes you feel any better my first few laps in the car have been in the 2:43s and I'm now away to look at a few videos and practice a bit more. I know I can improve on that time but I doubt I'll be anywhere near the 2:32s so maybe you will have someone to race!
HorZa IX
HorZa IX

TORA Race Number : 581
Xbox One Xbox 360

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2014-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by PROD DTechR Sat 12 Jul 2014 - 15:33

I strongly recommend, using the XPR Venom tune or mine, you will see that you will improve your time. My best time was 33s and looking forward. You also, can see the video in the rival section to see my brake points and my line.
PROD DTechR
PROD DTechR

TORA Race Number : 554
Xbox One Xbox 360

Number of posts : 926
Registration date : 2012-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Capt10 Morgan Sat 12 Jul 2014 - 22:30

HorZa IX wrote:Not longed signed up at TORA and think this will be my first official event so I'm really looking forward to it.

Cap, if it makes you feel any better my first few laps in the car have been in the 2:43s and I'm now away to look at a few videos and practice a bit more. I know I can improve on that time but I doubt I'll be anywhere near the 2:32s so maybe you will have someone to race!

It's always nice to have some company in the back of the pack. Can get lonely back there sometimes, lol.
Capt10 Morgan
Capt10 Morgan

Xbox One Playstation 4

Back to top Go down

Post by HorZa IX Sun 13 Jul 2014 - 12:16

Cap10MorgueN wrote:It's always nice to have some company in the back of the pack.  Can get lonely back there sometimes, lol.

Doh, just realised I misread the times this is running at. It will be a bit late for me so I won't be racing Sad
HorZa IX
HorZa IX

TORA Race Number : 581
Xbox One Xbox 360

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2014-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Capt10 Morgan Sun 13 Jul 2014 - 14:08

DTechR wrote:I strongly recommend, using the XPR Venom tune or mine, you will see that you will improve your time. My best time was 33s and looking forward. You also, can see the video in the rival section to see my brake points and my line.

I'll definitely take a look at both the tune and the replay. Helps a lot to see someone running not only the same car, but same tune. Sometimes I watch a replay and just shake my head saying "there is NO way my car will do that" lol. Gonna be hard pressed to beat Venom's tune, cause I really did like it. But I am absolutely open to anything! Thanks!!!

HorZa IX wrote:
Cap10MorgueN wrote:It's always nice to have some company in the back of the pack.  Can get lonely back there sometimes, lol.

Doh, just realised I misread the times this is running at. It will be a bit late for me so I won't be racing Sad

Dang! Back to keeping up the rear on my own I guess. Hope to race with you in another series.
Capt10 Morgan
Capt10 Morgan

Xbox One Playstation 4

Back to top Go down

Post by RumbleBee 392 Sun 13 Jul 2014 - 17:39

Entries are opened up, good luck!
RumbleBee 392
RumbleBee 392

Xbox One PC

Back to top Go down

Post by WhoIsJohn117 Fri 25 Jul 2014 - 3:11

Thanks for setting it up, Soundwave! Thanks for racing, everyone!

I've shared both replays.
WhoIsJohn117
WhoIsJohn117

TORA Race Number : 117
Xbox One Xbox 360

Number of posts : 656
Registration date : 2013-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by XPR Forbidden Fri 25 Jul 2014 - 3:14

Well that was crap. Sorry about holding up the qualifying due to this terrible system. Lagged on the next to last turn in race 2 came out of lag sideways. XB1 is terrible.
XPR Forbidden
XPR Forbidden

TORA Race Number : 304
Xbox One Xbox 360

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2013-12-29

http://advancedracingteam.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by XPR Forbidden Fri 25 Jul 2014 - 3:15

WhoIsJohnGalt87 wrote:Thanks for setting it up, Soundwave! Thanks for racing, everyone!

I've shared both replays.

Had some good racing with you. Great side by side for a few corners there.
XPR Forbidden
XPR Forbidden

TORA Race Number : 304
Xbox One Xbox 360

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2013-12-29

http://advancedracingteam.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next