TORA - The Online Racing Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» ANNOUNCING EZT MOTORSPORT SPECRACING SERIES 2 (FM)
A few thoughts about racing... EmptyMon 22 Apr 2024 - 16:59 by EZT Neo 45

» Nasal8405 Bout Me
A few thoughts about racing... EmptySun 21 Apr 2024 - 10:12 by EZT MAKO 6669

» New to League Racing!
A few thoughts about racing... EmptyMon 27 Nov 2023 - 15:18 by EZT MAKO 6669

» Returning driver IBlueIJaBBRexI
A few thoughts about racing... EmptyTue 14 Nov 2023 - 14:53 by EZT MAKO 6669

» Hello
A few thoughts about racing... EmptyMon 6 Nov 2023 - 0:25 by Rudie

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Stints
A few thoughts about racing... EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 22:04 by zrolizac

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Qualifying
A few thoughts about racing... EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 22:00 by zrolizac

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Live Timing
A few thoughts about racing... EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 21:57 by zrolizac

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Carlist and Build Rules
A few thoughts about racing... EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 21:50 by zrolizac

Facebook

A few thoughts about racing...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A few thoughts about racing... Empty A few thoughts about racing...

Being somehow involved in racing for longer than I can remember, I have learned a few things along the way. Much of what I knew about racers 25 years ago still applies in virtual racing...

We all race because we have one thing in common: our love of motorsport and passion for cars. While we may have some heated rivalries, at TORA or elsewhere, between ourselves and members of other teams, our rivals are usually good guys away from racing. If you were to meet any one of them outside of racing, and discuss your passion for the sport with them, you'd probably be fast friends.

All racers are a--holes. This is a proven fact. I had a sponsor prove this for me in front of my very eyes. During the driver's meeting, when everyone at the track was gathered for the pre race briefing, he shouted out "Hey A--hole!!!", and every single one of them turned around as if to say "Who, me?" I have done this a few times at various tracks, and the result is ALWAYS the same.

Races are unimportant. In the grand scheme of life, very very few races are remotely of any importance. Who won round 5 of TCC Season 6? Round 3 of GT S9? As important as those races were to us competitors at the time, in all actuality they really didn't matter much to anyone outside of those series, much less to anyone outside of TORA. Even then, they sure were not important enough to risk ruining your reputation by cheating or dirty driving, and your reputation is far more important than a race win.

Friendship can last forever. Over my years in racing, I have made many many friends. In fact, most of my friends, even my wife, I met through racing. There may be a few I thought were friends who turned into enemies of mine, but in all reality I have made more of my enemies into my friends than the other way around. Its amazing how an offseason encounter at the local strip joint, knocking back a few beers, can turn a bitter rival into a good friend, and how that unlikely friendship can last over many decades.

Race for fun. This is a fun hobby, keep it that way. Most of us already have a job, whether it is work or school, its a job. We do this for fun, do not make it seem like another job. When you do that, it takes the fun out of it for most everyone else too, as your win at all costs attitude will make them work harder to keep up.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Cheers, Mikey J

TORA Race Number : 18
Xbox 360 Xbox One

Number of posts : 13800
Registration date : 2012-04-20

http://ax4x.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

A few thoughts about racing... :: Comments

LMR Deftone MX

Post Fri 15 Nov 2013 - 7:51 by LMR Deftone MX

Love it! Something that shouldn't be forgotten! Thanks for writing Mikey!

Back to top Go down

LMP Dragon

Post Fri 15 Nov 2013 - 7:53 by LMP Dragon

I agree Mikey, racing is just a passion most people have, some take it more seriously than others. If I am honest, if I was offered a contract to any professional motorsport like touring cars or Formula Ford. I would accept it. No matter how bad the team are, you just get on with it and enjoy yourself. You may not win, however if you enjoy it and everyone else enjoys it with you, the paddock and the track would be some of the best places you can get.

Back to top Go down

Ax4x Mikey J

Post Fri 15 Nov 2013 - 8:03 by Ax4x Mikey J

Agreed CV. I spent years driving, touring on a NASCAR crew, and helping those in need at the local track. Racing here at TORA is no different, as we are all here because we love the sport.

I've just noticed too much heated debate lately, and some of that negativism was starting to get to me. So, I took a long thought about "why we race" and posted some positive thoughts.

Back to top Go down

Ax4x Kane

Post Fri 15 Nov 2013 - 12:48 by Ax4x Kane

Inspirational words from our Commander-in-chief. Cool

Back to top Go down

DeweyTee

Post Fri 15 Nov 2013 - 14:42 by DeweyTee

This all makes you go HMMMMMMM.......... If people are exploiting the boundaries in this series, what are they doing in the highly competitive series and using to their advantage? I know lots of skill and countless hours of tuning/practice make you more competitve but sometimes I question 7-9 second disparity...... anyway its still fun if you have at least 1 car to compete with!

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 15 Nov 2013 - 14:57 by Texaspotatolord

What are you on about Dewey? Lol.

Good stuff Mikey.

Back to top Go down

HCR Motorhead

Post Fri 15 Nov 2013 - 19:10 by HCR Motorhead

Dewey, fast people are just fast. For one reason or another they are just faster. TORA's rules are set that anyone who has illegal builds or drives in an illegal fashion are blindingly obvious to catch and then deal with.

I agree with you Mikey, people especially online are too quick to hit the attack button. Online's just a load of pixels going round a CGI environment against other human controlled load of pixels.

Back to top Go down

Ax4x Mikey J

Post Fri 15 Nov 2013 - 19:15 by Ax4x Mikey J

Dewey was talking about Spec Cup where we now have to race stock S2000s because someone found ways to cheat Rolling Eyes 

Back to top Go down

HCR Motorhead

Post Fri 15 Nov 2013 - 19:26 by HCR Motorhead

Wow that saddens me Sad What was it they were doing?

Back to top Go down

FSR Groves

Post Fri 15 Nov 2013 - 19:29 by FSR Groves

Amen to this Mikey! Smile

Back to top Go down

theboomeranga

Post Tue 26 Nov 2013 - 7:57 by theboomeranga

Accidentally stumbled across this,
Thank god I did
Perfect mate

Back to top Go down

CTM AnonCaliga

Post Sat 21 Dec 2013 - 1:01 by CTM AnonCaliga

Actually makes real good sense. As ErebusV8 I also stumbled upon this post, very well said, very well put. Really makes you stop and think. Thanks for this.

Back to top Go down

Ax4x Mikey J

Post Fri 20 Mar 2015 - 18:32 by Ax4x Mikey J

Just gave my own post a re-read, as I feel I have lost a bit of focus lately.

I hope others give this a read, whether for the first time or as a reminder of why we all do what we do.

Cheers.

Back to top Go down

ROSCOEpCOTRAIN

Post Fri 20 Mar 2015 - 20:01 by ROSCOEpCOTRAIN

Not enough pictures or strip club talk Wink
Very well said my friend ..Very well said

Back to top Go down

Ax4x Mikey J

Post Mon 5 Dec 2016 - 8:44 by Ax4x Mikey J

I am giving this post a bump because some people need a 'king reality check.

Back to top Go down

CRA XenoMorph

Post Mon 5 Dec 2016 - 12:45 by CRA XenoMorph

Great write up Mikey, very well said!! Cheers

Back to top Go down

EZT MAKO 6669

Post Mon 5 Dec 2016 - 16:09 by EZT MAKO 6669

Good read Mikey and very true!! What Mike says is something everyone should consider. We have been racing together for some 5 or 6 years now, going back to my days at Finish Line Racing, through VM, and here at TORA. We have had many door to door battles, many of which did not end well for either of us ( Laguna Seca, turn one Mikey? LOL). Yet despite our fierce on track rivalry, I still consider Mike to be one of my closest friends in the Forza world. At the end of the day, there has never been any animosity between us, and we always have a good laugh and chalk it up to good hard nosed racing.

To those frustrated by the events in the TEC this past weekend, I feel your pain. While a championship has never been a realistic outcome for me personally, I still know the pain of being taken out of a race I spent valuable time getting ready for. And yes, it sucks. Sometimes though, you have to take a deep breath and remember that it's part of the game. How many real world drivers have lost out due to someone else's mistake?

Back to top Go down

henkymetcola

Post Sun 11 Dec 2016 - 23:07 by henkymetcola

Cheers

Back to top Go down

GLR mar B ond

Post Tue 13 Dec 2016 - 13:59 by GLR mar B ond

....some in the recent ESL forza RC laguna seca lobby 'could' benefit from this post Wink Shocked

Back to top Go down

EZT MAKO 6669

Post Tue 13 Dec 2016 - 14:24 by EZT MAKO 6669

Mar, where you been buddy? Haven't seen you in forever!

Back to top Go down

GLR mar B ond

Post Tue 13 Dec 2016 - 16:07 by GLR mar B ond

EZT MAKO 6669 wrote:Mar, where you been buddy? Haven't seen you in forever!
Hi m8. I'm fine thank you. First of all life's been quite busy. Not in a small part also after my WEC prize.
Lots changed after that.
But i'm still around and staying in touch, although more in the background for now, in online racing.
Also hoping Scorpio (&FM7) will see community racing back like it once was (you know what i mean ;-) )

Back to top Go down

GTDon2

Post Tue 13 Dec 2016 - 16:55 by GTDon2

So very true on all counts. Something I've tried to preach to prevent burnout. Play for fun and play forever.

Back to top Go down

Ax4x Mikey J

Post Thu 15 Aug 2019 - 8:27 by Ax4x Mikey J

After seeing the FRC 2019 situation, and assessing my reaction to it, I decided I needed a refresher on this subject myself.

Back to top Go down

Koenigsegg R

Post Thu 15 Aug 2019 - 19:51 by Koenigsegg R

^just don’t use twatter

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next