TORA - The Online Racing Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» ANNOUNCING EZT MOTORSPORT SPECRACING SERIES 2 (FM)
TORA 2014 Announcement - Page 2 EmptyMon 22 Apr 2024 - 16:59 by EZT Neo 45

» Nasal8405 Bout Me
TORA 2014 Announcement - Page 2 EmptySun 21 Apr 2024 - 10:12 by EZT MAKO 6669

» New to League Racing!
TORA 2014 Announcement - Page 2 EmptyMon 27 Nov 2023 - 15:18 by EZT MAKO 6669

» Returning driver IBlueIJaBBRexI
TORA 2014 Announcement - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Nov 2023 - 14:53 by EZT MAKO 6669

» Hello
TORA 2014 Announcement - Page 2 EmptyMon 6 Nov 2023 - 0:25 by Rudie

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Stints
TORA 2014 Announcement - Page 2 EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 22:04 by zrolizac

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Qualifying
TORA 2014 Announcement - Page 2 EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 22:00 by zrolizac

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Live Timing
TORA 2014 Announcement - Page 2 EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 21:57 by zrolizac

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Carlist and Build Rules
TORA 2014 Announcement - Page 2 EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 21:50 by zrolizac

Facebook

TORA 2014 Announcement

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

TORA 2014 Announcement - Page 2 Empty TORA 2014 Announcement

Seasons greeting, hopefully everyone is geared up and ready for Christmas! We haven't really done an update like this for a while but we now feel that we understand how we are going to approach 2014 as a community and how we are going to go racing.

As everyone is probably aware there are certain...issues with Forza Motorsport 5 that has put a - hopefully - temporary halt to our grand plans for the coming year. As with all other communities affected by Forza 5's features, or lack thereof, some of us have lost the momentum we had on the build up to launch and has put us off our stride a little. Of course we still have a fully functional game called Forza Motorsport 4 that we can use on the Xbox 360 however as I am sure everyone who has played FM5 will agree it will be very hard to go back to the game once you have settled into the new generation of consoles. I completely understand this, and have absolutely no problem with the fact that people who went out and bought the new console and game don't want to go back to older tech. That's just what happens and really we should have fully expected it. This though has put TORA into a slightly unknown position. We have a fractured community, and we want to try resolve this.

Before I go into details I just want to say thanks to LMR Warspite for taking the lead with the final TEC race at the Nurburgring this past weekend. He managed the weekend well, and got so much help from the wider community including his team mate LMR Deftone, TG Hadyo, Bandit1097 and of course BG Cowboy who really stepped up to help in various lobbies throughout the night. You guys - and all those who hosted - did an amazing job and it's a position we as Staff should not have put you in. Personal things did happen for some of us and do continue to take up some of our time, but we should have been prepared and I am really proud of the way it was handled by everyone. We won't let it get into a position like that again, but as Warspite said - the race wasn't cancelled! More news will come from this over the next few weeks, and expect to hear more about the TEC in 2014.

Back to the subject of racing, we as Staff at TORA have had a troubled year to say the least and have maybe lost focus on what is actually important here - Online Racing. For 2014 we want to get back to basics and have fun racing online no matter what the game or console/system it is. Inevitably with new consoles being released and the community splitting itself up a bit we have a variety of issues to overcome, but we also have a lot of choices as to what we want to do in 2014.

As we have said previously we will continue to support FM4 for the near future until such as time as the community deems the game to be 'done' and have moved on. That in reality could take a year or more, and personally I see the community still racing on FM4 for that year at least until the anniversary of the Xbox One and FM5. Most of the Staff guys have moved onto the Xbox One and FM5 and we don't see ourselves going back to racing on FM4. There are though some Staff members who still race on FM4 as they don't have an Xbox One and as such will continue to race on what they know. There is evidence of this already as the TCR events are primarily being run on FM4 and the European GT series is certainly picking up the numbers. We are fully behind this and as such are looking to get a team of people together who can lead the community who continue to use FM4 and want to keep the racing going strong on that console.

As for Forza 5, well, there is a certain lack of media output coming from the game since launch but that doesn't mean we can't go racing. The Mighty Minis has started and is showing that there is some good racing to be had, and with some of our brief experimentation online we think we are starting to understand car balancing. We have been having fun racing online and that for me has been an issue in FM4. It's something that as a group we want to get back, we want it to be fun and not get bogged down with pages of strict rules and regulations. When TORA started all the way back on FM2 there was a few hundred words for rules and a list of cars and builds. Things have changed since then in respect to how we understand and have worked on our car balance which has given us some incredible series over the last few years, but FM5 for some of us feels like we are going back to the 'old' days and that may be a good thing.

Regarding 'Official' series like TORA GT Season 11 and TORA TCC Season 9, we will be putting them off until the second half of 2014. There is expectation that we will use FM5 for these series but with a lack of possible media output, cars and to a certain extent tracks we need to wait and see how FM5 changes over the next 6 months. If we rush into these 'Official' seasons then we will have small numbers and nothing to back up what will no doubt be awesome racing. The GT, TCC and ISCC seasons are great on track, but it is the media and background for the teams that really makes them into the spectacle that they are. We don't see these happening on FM4 either due to the reasons I explained earlier, but that's not to say there won't be anything official happening.

Starting in January we are looking to host the TORA Time Attack Championship, featuring fortnightly challenges akin to the Forza Rivals many people enjoy. We will have more to announce about this soon.

After the Mighty Minis has come to a close we will be starting up another Forza 5 based Spec Cup possibly using Track Day Specials, and if our early testing is anything to go by it's going to be fantastic fun. More details will follow as the Mighty Minis nears the end of the season.

Production GT will make its glorious return on FM5, but not quite as you know it. Expect to see the iconic Sportscars of the 1990s and early 2000s take to the tracks of the world and show how legendary they really are. We will be looking for willing testers and people to help us out on exploring FM5s car balancing across a wide variety of machinery with this season, so look out for the section opening up soon and the volunteers thread starting up.

We can't forget the poll we have been running at the side of the forums for the last month or so and joint top we have Classic Grand Prix and V8 Supercars, so why not race them? We will be looking to start either of these championships early in 2014.

The TORA Endurance Championship has simply been our most popular events over the last two years and the TEC has encouraged the wider Forza community to come together and race against each other in grueling long distance challenges, but the reality is that the TEC has become so popular because of the spectacle that it became. Live streams, media and week long coverage built the success of the TEC and without that it will not be the same. Unfortunately I think we need to put the TEC on hiatus in the same way as the TORA GT, TCC and ISCC and revisit it in 6 months time. By then we may also have other games to choose from and may decide which is the correct course of action, but we will have a more official announcement on this in 2014. We may however run a one-off shortened TEC race on FM5 to see how it works, but with the tedium of the online system for creating lobbies and inviting people in, running the TEC may not be as smooth as we would like it to be.

We will also be starting up monthly photo competitions on the forums with prizes each month for the top three. These photos can be taken on any game or system, and we may have specific rules and themes for each months to mix things up a little. Watch out for more details in the coming months.

I think that mainly covers it. We are looking to tackle other games and consoles in 2014 and will be making a serious effort to branch into these areas. We can't do it all ourselves however and would be more than welcome for either our own community or a wider outside community to come in and help us with this. GT6 on the PS3 is high on the agenda, but with none of the current staff having had much experience on the GT games recently we may need some help and guidance with this. PC Sim Racing is huge and is again something we are keen to be involved in. Ideally we would like to link up with an already existing community to help us out in getting ourselves grounded in that area. PC Sim Racing has a lot of possibilities, and with our MotorsTV link we may even see a PC based race being run on the that channel in place of our planned FM5 series. Watch this space, and if anyone knows any wider communities who are interested then please let us know as we want to get involved.

The current community races being held on FM4 are greatly encouraged as was said earlier on, and we are still looking for more people to get involved in this. If your still racing on FM4 and have ideas for running a series then let us know and we will see what we can get going. The best way to go about it is if there is already and established plan and people in place to run a series then put the completed plans forward and we can get it running under the TORA banner in a more official capacity. For example, if you are a Team and are looking to run your own championship then feel free to use our already established community to get more racers in and hopefully we can produce something great. The BG McLaren Cup is a great example of a Team taking on a challenge and using the TORA system to run something, and you guys can as well.

I think I've waffled on enough for now. If there are any questions please ask away and we will do our best to answer. We can only do the best with what we have going into 2014, but there are a lot of promising racing titles coming out over the next year so we may be in for some surprises. The key to 2014 for TORA is to get the fun back into our racing, and making it more personal and enjoyable from all levels. That is all down to the community that we have really, but you guys have shown that your here exactly for that and just want the racing to continue.

TORA 2014 Announcement - Page 2 C7LquN0
Richy59
Richy59

TORA Race Number : 20
Xbox One Playstation 4

Number of posts : 13799
Registration date : 2008-08-18

http://www.theonlineracingassociation.com

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

TORA 2014 Announcement :: Comments

Ax4x Kane

Post Thu 19 Dec 2013 - 15:45 by Ax4x Kane

What's the situation on Forza 5 TCR Championships? Are we allowed to run them?

Back to top Go down

F4H Lotterer

Post Thu 19 Dec 2013 - 16:44 by F4H Lotterer

Kilroy8 wrote:What's the situation on Forza 5 TCR Championships? Are we allowed to run them?

yes Kilroy pass details over to staff or community member to review Smile

Back to top Go down

BG Wumba

Post Thu 19 Dec 2013 - 23:41 by BG Wumba

LMR WARSPITE wrote:I can promise you there will continue to be Officially ran TORA Championships on FM4, it will be a while before we can expect to see the majority on the new console so not to worry. Smile

Big promise to make.  study 

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 20 Dec 2013 - 0:12 by Guest

BG Wumba wrote:
LMR WARSPITE wrote:I can promise you there will continue to be Officially ran TORA Championships on FM4, it will be a while before we can expect to see the majority on the new console so not to worry. Smile

Big promise to make.  study 

I have team and friends on both sides of the Console, and many are still left behind here, I will make sure there are still pitlane series to accomodate the FM4 demand, even if I have to run them myself.

I am a man of my word, and I have yet to lose this attribute.

Back to top Go down

Ax4x Kane

Post Fri 20 Dec 2013 - 0:20 by Ax4x Kane

To be honest, it seems like the majority are still on FM4 anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 20 Dec 2013 - 0:23 by Guest

Exactly.

TORA will always feature races for our loyal members, even if it means branching out to other platforms at the same time as running series on FM4, and FM5 whilst we await the changes we need there.

Just because the site is on Cool-down for the Holidays, doesn't mean we haven't got stuff planned and ready to roll out come 2014! Smile

Back to top Go down

Ax4x Mikey J

Post Fri 20 Dec 2013 - 1:31 by Ax4x Mikey J

LMR WARSPITE wrote:Exactly.

TORA will always feature races for our loyal members, even if it means branching out to other platforms at the same time as running series on FM4, and FM5 whilst we await the changes we need there.

Just because the site is on Cool-down for the Holidays, doesn't mean we haven't got stuff planned and ready to roll out come 2014! Smile

That is one thing to remember, TORA usually breaks for Dec/Jan. There is Winter Heat, a full week of races featuring the "Best of TORA 2013". This TCR event, hosted by Bandit1097, features TCC, GT, ISCC, TASCAR, BG MacLarens, etc, with two races a day. 14 races in a seven day span, more racing than any sane person would wish for... and more fun than should be legally possible outside of Amsterdam.

Back to top Go down

MrGRiMP

Post Fri 20 Dec 2013 - 3:28 by MrGRiMP

Flyin Mikey J wrote:
That is one thing to remember, TORA usually breaks for Dec/Jan. There is Winter Heat, a full week of races featuring the "Best of TORA 2013". This TCR event, hosted by Bandit1097, features TCC, GT, ISCC, TASCAR, BG MacLarens, etc, with two races a day. 14 races in a seven day span, more racing than any sane person would wish for... and more fun than should be legally possible outside of Amsterdam.
 Now that sounds like a good time, no matter which game its on!

Back to top Go down

Ax4x Mikey J

Post Fri 20 Dec 2013 - 3:37 by Ax4x Mikey J

FM4/360, just as the 2013 TORA series were.

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 20 Dec 2013 - 7:10 by Guest

The TCR Euopean GT's may be worth a look also, not even Xmas and over 60 Entries plus more planned before New Year, and the series hasn't even started yet. Smile

Back to top Go down

Ax4x Bandit

Post Fri 20 Dec 2013 - 14:40 by Ax4x Bandit

A clear thirst for GT racing here on TORA.  Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 20 Dec 2013 - 15:05 by Guest

TORA GT's, TEC, ISCC, seems GT spec seem to be one of the heavy-hitters this year. Smile

Back to top Go down

Ax4x Mikey J

Post Fri 20 Dec 2013 - 17:16 by Ax4x Mikey J

On th eopposite end of the spectrum, expect a 4 Hour of LeMons event at the end of February or early March. The first one was a huge hit in November, and the live feed fueled enough interest to warrant another.

This "Funduro" for cheap daily driver cars is the perfect antidote to high end R Class overload.

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 20 Dec 2013 - 19:14 by TheAngryPudding

*cough* Monday night series *cough*

Back to top Go down

skyshadow5

Post Fri 20 Dec 2013 - 20:31 by skyshadow5

Kilroy8 wrote:I'm one of those who has finished on Forza 4. The only two things that really bug me is the lack of online replays & inability to gift. This is only because of stewards inquiries & team paints/tunes. Everything else is a mild inconvenience, but can be put up with.

Worryingly, heard nothing about a potential F1/ TORA GP Championship... Sad

What I don't get is *why* people have to "put up with it". FM5 clearly has issues and certainly has had many useful features removed. No amount of "making do" can make up for this unfathomable lack of community support from a developer who *claims* to be community focused.
For those that spent the money and bought a new console (which also doesn't work as advertised) and a new game and are happy with what they have then, honestly, that's great and I'm glad you like it.
But I for one have no desire to be screwed over by a developer who *clearly* is not bothered how their actions affect the racing community, who keep their product alive when all the casuals have gone, who buy the dlc months after the the casuals have departed; don't Turn 10 care about the real followers, about the people who actively promote their game for nothing (and in TORA's case get their game on TV for christs sake).
FM5 is a fraction of the game that FM4 is and no amount of pretty graphics can make up for the appalling way they have ignored and disregarded the true racing fans of their franchise.
I'll be sticking with FM4 until they release a game that fans of a racing community can come together and play without hindrance, and without having to "make do".

~sky~

Back to top Go down

Windcharger8199

Post Sat 21 Dec 2013 - 5:31 by Windcharger8199

well now I know a time frame in which I have to get an xbox one and FM5. But don't worry I will still have FM4 and my 360. I will suggest one game that is slated for a second half of 2014 release and that is project Cars. They will definitely make turn10 step up their game as it will be direct competition for the best racing game on the Xbox one. But I cant wait for GT season 11 and TCC season 9, and even the ISCC. I look forward to TORA's future and an willing to help in any way possible with series on FM4 during the Main Stream Series' time off.

Back to top Go down

Ax4x Mikey J

Post Sat 21 Dec 2013 - 6:42 by Ax4x Mikey J

MVG skyshadow5 wrote:
Kilroy8 wrote:I'm one of those who has finished on Forza 4. The only two things that really bug me is the lack of online replays & inability to gift. This is only because of stewards inquiries & team paints/tunes. Everything else is a mild inconvenience, but can be put up with.

Worryingly, heard nothing about a potential F1/ TORA GP Championship... Sad

What I don't get is *why* people have to "put up with it". FM5 clearly has issues and certainly has had many useful features removed. No amount of "making do" can make up for this unfathomable lack of community support from a developer who *claims* to be community focused.
For those that spent the money and bought a new console (which also doesn't work as advertised) and a new game and are happy with what they have then, honestly, that's great and I'm glad you like it.
But I for one have no desire to be screwed over by a developer who *clearly* is not bothered how their actions affect the racing community, who keep their product alive when all the casuals have gone, who buy the dlc months after the the casuals have departed; don't Turn 10 care about the real followers, about the people who actively promote their game for nothing (and in TORA's case get their game on TV for christs sake).
FM5 is a fraction of the game that FM4 is and no amount of pretty graphics can make up for the appalling way they have ignored and disregarded the true racing fans of their franchise.
I'll be sticking with FM4 until they release a game that fans of a racing community can come together and play without hindrance, and without having to "make do".

~sky~

I feel much the same as you, but I'll put it into two sentences:

I wish FM5 was as good for league races as it is single player.

T10 has done a bang up job of fragmenting the community that built up their franchise.

Back to top Go down

MrGRiMP

Post Sat 21 Dec 2013 - 10:22 by MrGRiMP

agreed!

And now, i've taken the most expensive item in my entire house, and I have tucked it away nicely on Craigslist for $5 less than what i paid for it!

Back to top Go down

MotoYeti

Post Tue 24 Dec 2013 - 9:47 by MotoYeti

Project C.A.R.S. is coming soon, don't know if it will be cross platform mind you?

P.S. Bring back TORA Rally and Drag Racing Wink

Last edited by MotoYeti on Tue 24 Dec 2013 - 9:55; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : updated information)

Back to top Go down

DR PiiHB

Post Tue 24 Dec 2013 - 13:27 by DR PiiHB

I am pretty sure P.CARS will be cross platform. Only next gen systems and PC though. So if you aren't getting the X1 for a while, you may want to look into PC if you have one worth racing with. Hope this helps your decision. Merry Christmas everyone!...or whatever holiday you observe Wink

Back to top Go down

CQR Rogue

Post Tue 24 Dec 2013 - 13:45 by CQR Rogue

Will run events on Project C.A.R.S, rfactor2, gt6, forza 5 and 4 as per OP Wink

Back to top Go down

Ax4x Chaddy

Post Tue 24 Dec 2013 - 20:19 by Ax4x Chaddy

no iRacing?  Sad 

Back to top Go down

F4H Lotterer

Post Tue 24 Dec 2013 - 22:49 by F4H Lotterer

Yes I Racing will also be ran.