TORA - The Online Racing Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» ANNOUNCING EZT MOTORSPORT SPECRACING SERIES 2 (FM)
Motorsports-related research paper for school EmptyMon 22 Apr 2024 - 16:59 by EZT Neo 45

» Nasal8405 Bout Me
Motorsports-related research paper for school EmptySun 21 Apr 2024 - 10:12 by EZT MAKO 6669

» New to League Racing!
Motorsports-related research paper for school EmptyMon 27 Nov 2023 - 15:18 by EZT MAKO 6669

» Returning driver IBlueIJaBBRexI
Motorsports-related research paper for school EmptyTue 14 Nov 2023 - 14:53 by EZT MAKO 6669

» Hello
Motorsports-related research paper for school EmptyMon 6 Nov 2023 - 0:25 by Rudie

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Stints
Motorsports-related research paper for school EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 22:04 by zrolizac

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Qualifying
Motorsports-related research paper for school EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 22:00 by zrolizac

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Live Timing
Motorsports-related research paper for school EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 21:57 by zrolizac

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Carlist and Build Rules
Motorsports-related research paper for school EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 21:50 by zrolizac

Facebook

Motorsports-related research paper for school

+4
XTI Avenger
Slider S15
HCR generaltso
Stonewall458
8 posters

Go down

Motorsports-related research paper for school Empty Motorsports-related research paper for school

Post by Stonewall458 Wed 6 Oct 2010 - 1:13

Hi all, I'm in some deep....mess...and I need some help getting some resources for my research project. My topic is How does racing affect the auto industry?

Basically, I'm looking for any sources of information that give me insight on different technologies and car styles that came from racing. I'm looking across Formula 1, sports cars/endurance, oval, and off-road racing. This includes everything from mechanical to aerodynamic to aesthetics.

Any and all help is appreciated! Very Happy
Stonewall458
Stonewall458

Number of posts : 1560
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Motorsports-related research paper for school Empty Re: Motorsports-related research paper for school

Post by HCR generaltso Wed 6 Oct 2010 - 1:23

HCR generaltso
HCR generaltso

TORA Race Number : 12
Xbox One PC

Number of posts : 5771
Registration date : 2009-05-04

Back to top Go down

Motorsports-related research paper for school Empty Re: Motorsports-related research paper for school

Post by Slider S15 Wed 6 Oct 2010 - 1:26

I think the Ferrari F50 and the Ferrari Enzo are a pretty good bet, loads of F1 tech in them (F50 especially)

Failing that, Mclarens new car uses Carbon Fibre technology from its F1 cars....
Slider S15
Slider S15

TORA Race Number : 219
Number of posts : 3711
Registration date : 2009-01-24

https://www.facebook.com/SlidersStorefront

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonewall458 Wed 6 Oct 2010 - 1:51

Great suggestions, but I'm more looking for down-to-earth things. I'm wondering if essential pieces that we have in todays' cars came from racing.
Stonewall458
Stonewall458

Back to top Go down

Post by XTI Avenger Wed 6 Oct 2010 - 2:04

That actually sounds like a fun assignment! Haha. I found a link which MIGHT have what you're looking for, but its kinda a generalization of lots of things. I haven't read it all 100% completely, but it may help get the juices flowing so read at your own risk Wink .

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2732321/comparing_the_anatomy_of_a_formula1.html?cat=27

Side note, it may not be "standard" but many cars today have push button start. That seems like something that may have been influenced by race cars.
XTI Avenger
XTI Avenger

Number of posts : 994
Registration date : 2009-03-26

http://xtiracing.homeip.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Slider S15 Wed 6 Oct 2010 - 2:20

Traction control systems are a product of motorsport, I think Anti lock brakes might be too.
Slider S15
Slider S15

TORA Race Number : 219
Number of posts : 3711
Registration date : 2009-01-24

https://www.facebook.com/SlidersStorefront

Back to top Go down

Post by HCR generaltso Wed 6 Oct 2010 - 3:01

Buttons on the steering wheel.
HCR generaltso
HCR generaltso

TORA Race Number : 12
Xbox One PC

Number of posts : 5771
Registration date : 2009-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonewall458 Wed 6 Oct 2010 - 3:08

What about things from oval racing and rally/off-road racing?
Stonewall458
Stonewall458

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Wed 6 Oct 2010 - 7:13

4WD systems you need to look at cars like the Audi Quattro, you can also draw comparisons between semi-automatic gearboxes in F1 cars and those used on Ferrari road cars and how that sort of tech has filtered over. Tyre technology is largely developed through racing, particularly endurance so maybe look at the tyre companies like Michelin, Pirelli, Hankook for ALMS/LMS examples and Bridgestone for F1.
Don't also forget that KERS and other hybrid systems are becoming increasingly mportant and that is a new tech that is gradually filtering through, so the core example of that would be the 911 Hybrid used at the N24 and PLM. That's a great example of the breed IMO.
Also check out Racecar Engineering, there should be a good few examples floating around there Smile

Motorsports-related research paper for school EwVLgo3
Motorsports-related research paper for school Beechdsig_zps2e9ae73f
Matt
Matt

TORA Race Number : 10
Xbox One PC

Number of posts : 14648
Registration date : 2008-08-05

http://forums.theonlineracingassociation.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CQR Rogue Wed 6 Oct 2010 - 8:59

Look no further than Audi FSI TDI technolgy all devloped @ Le Mans, sports cars pushed in the 80's group c days for better faster more fuel effecient engines, dont mention f1, f1 is no way relevant to road cars, sports cars are the only way in which manfactures demonstrate new technology.

Motorsports-related research paper for school 2666031

Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting
CQR Rogue
CQR Rogue

TORA Race Number : 47
Xbox One PC

Number of posts : 15745
Registration date : 2008-08-16

http://www.theonlineracingassociation.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Richy59 Wed 6 Oct 2010 - 10:42

I thought that Power Steering, ABS and TCS was designed for F1 cars and then transferred to road cars no?

Motorsports-related research paper for school C7LquN0
Richy59
Richy59

TORA Race Number : 20
Xbox One Playstation 4

Number of posts : 13799
Registration date : 2008-08-18

http://www.theonlineracingassociation.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CQR Rogue Wed 6 Oct 2010 - 11:29

Yea, but more relveant ABS and TCS where devloped from sports cars, ie group c days Smile

also lemans back from the 50's to present reasarch new disc brakes, fuel injection, turbos, fuel efficency

Motorsports-related research paper for school 2666031

Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting
CQR Rogue
CQR Rogue

TORA Race Number : 47
Xbox One PC

Number of posts : 15745
Registration date : 2008-08-16

http://www.theonlineracingassociation.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyf1 Wed 6 Oct 2010 - 19:11

TDI technology has improved vastly thanks to Audi and Peugeot at Le Mans. Also not forgetting the 2.0 Litre TDI engine developed for the SEAT works cars Smile Very nice motor in the Golf GTI!
nickyf1
nickyf1

TORA Race Number : 271
Xbox One Xbox 360

Number of posts : 10770
Registration date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyf1 Wed 6 Oct 2010 - 19:15

Funnily enough, I am doing a project at School on rotational dynamics, trying to relate moment of inertia with torque, and I'll need to talk to my teacher about ways of measuring the energy output of a flywheel, which leads into Hybrid KERS technology Smile

I'm also going to be gathering data using an accelerometer for a mate at Larkhall by driving his Kart around the track to try and measure the centripetal forces that are experienced in the corners, which would lead to finding the G Forces involved in cornering. Will also be using lots of data for my project, so its a win-win!
nickyf1
nickyf1

TORA Race Number : 271
Xbox One Xbox 360

Number of posts : 10770
Registration date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down