TORA - The Online Racing Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» ANNOUNCING EZT MOTORSPORT SPECRACING SERIES 2 (FM)
The best cars/bikes to never win a world championship EmptyMon 22 Apr 2024 - 16:59 by EZT Neo 45

» Nasal8405 Bout Me
The best cars/bikes to never win a world championship EmptySun 21 Apr 2024 - 10:12 by EZT MAKO 6669

» New to League Racing!
The best cars/bikes to never win a world championship EmptyMon 27 Nov 2023 - 15:18 by EZT MAKO 6669

» Returning driver IBlueIJaBBRexI
The best cars/bikes to never win a world championship EmptyTue 14 Nov 2023 - 14:53 by EZT MAKO 6669

» Hello
The best cars/bikes to never win a world championship EmptyMon 6 Nov 2023 - 0:25 by Rudie

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Stints
The best cars/bikes to never win a world championship EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 22:04 by zrolizac

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Qualifying
The best cars/bikes to never win a world championship EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 22:00 by zrolizac

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Live Timing
The best cars/bikes to never win a world championship EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 21:57 by zrolizac

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Carlist and Build Rules
The best cars/bikes to never win a world championship EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 21:50 by zrolizac

Facebook

The best cars/bikes to never win a world championship

+4
Stonewall458
narboza22
AMR of the Apex
ATR DAN
8 posters

Go down

The best cars/bikes to never win a world championship Empty The best cars/bikes to never win a world championship

Post by ATR DAN Thu 2 Feb 2012 - 23:17

I thought this would be an interesting topic to create and see what everyone's views or opinions are. This is basically a thread dedicated to the best cars/bikes that have never won either the drivers or constructors/teams titles. It can be from any form of world championship motorsport; formula 1, World Rally Championship, Sports cars, Moto GP etc.
I thought I'll kick things off with a car from the WRC. It's a car which has won the british rally championship three times from 91-93 in the hands of Colin McRae and Richard Burns. But has never achieved the same sucess in the WRC. I'm taking about the Subaru Legacy RS.
I'll post more suggestions up when I get the chance:

ATR DAN
ATR DAN

TORA Race Number : 7
Xbox One Xbox 360

Number of posts : 4872
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

The best cars/bikes to never win a world championship Empty Re: The best cars/bikes to never win a world championship

Post by AMR of the Apex Thu 2 Feb 2012 - 23:26

The best cars/bikes to never win a world championship Benetton-b189-ford

...ok so best LOOKING...

...and at a time when McLaren were making a slaying at each venue, and perhaps fluked a Japanse GP win, it was fighting on the same piece of track as Ferrari and Williams, who also had a win or two in 1989.

Last edited by ADx Garage on Thu 2 Feb 2012 - 23:28; edited 1 time in total
AMR of the Apex
AMR of the Apex

TORA Race Number : TBD
Playstation 4 Xbox One

Number of posts : 3833
Registration date : 2010-04-14

Back to top Go down

The best cars/bikes to never win a world championship Empty Re: The best cars/bikes to never win a world championship

Post by narboza22 Thu 2 Feb 2012 - 23:26

Highcroft's HPD ARX-01e comes to mind. Out of box, it finished second at Sebring with no development.

Also, Redbull's RB5 would have given Redbull 3 championships in a row if it weren't for Brawn's double diffuser.
narboza22
narboza22

Number of posts : 824
Registration date : 2011-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonewall458 Thu 2 Feb 2012 - 23:36

Moved for housekeeping reasons. Razz

Also, inb4AudiR18
Stonewall458
Stonewall458

Number of posts : 1560
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post by lfcnicklfc Thu 2 Feb 2012 - 23:41

How about best drivers never to win a world championship, Sir Stirling Moss suddenly springs to mind, he should have won the F1 title atleast 3 times but always finished 2nd or 3rd!
lfcnicklfc
lfcnicklfc

TORA Race Number : 11
Number of posts : 3589
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by HCR generaltso Fri 3 Feb 2012 - 1:01

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6lBO-3OyKI

pretty sure this never won anything.
HCR generaltso
HCR generaltso

TORA Race Number : 12
Xbox One PC

Number of posts : 5771
Registration date : 2009-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by lfcnicklfc Fri 3 Feb 2012 - 1:21

It didn't, that was meant to be back for 2012, but from todays ACO announcement i guess not
lfcnicklfc
lfcnicklfc

TORA Race Number : 11
Number of posts : 3589
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by narboza22 Fri 3 Feb 2012 - 1:57

The R18 won the race it was built for. I'm sure Audi wouldn't trade victory at Le Mans for winning the ILMC.
narboza22
narboza22

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonewall458 Fri 3 Feb 2012 - 5:09

What sounds better for PR?

"2011 24 Hours of Le Mans winner Audi Sport"
Or
"2011 World Champion of Sportscars Audi Sport"
Stonewall458
Stonewall458

Number of posts : 1560
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post by narboza22 Fri 3 Feb 2012 - 5:32

There was no world championship last year, and I bet even with the WEC this year, the viewing figures will be higher for Le Mans than nearly all of the other WEC races combined.
narboza22
narboza22

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Fri 3 Feb 2012 - 8:53

The Aprilla Cube from Moto GP was a mighty bike. Tricky to ride and a sod to set up but OMG what a looker!!
Seeing Colin Edwards bail at the Sachsenring when the bike caught fire at high speed was something to behold too!

From Le Mans, I'd have to say there's a couple I'd put up there.
The Epsilon Euskedi was a bloody good looking car and pretty quick. Just didn't have the long term backing to really make it a viable option at a time when Audi and Peugeot's on track feud was reaching it's height.
Also, add in most of the Aston Martin challengers from the early/mid 50's when Jaguar was the car to have. The Astons were simply beautiful cars but just too fragile.
I guess you could extend the thougth to the Lola Astons which won the LMS but never replicated the success at Le Mans due to the Audi dominance.

The best cars/bikes to never win a world championship EwVLgo3
The best cars/bikes to never win a world championship Beechdsig_zps2e9ae73f
Matt
Matt

TORA Race Number : 10
Xbox One PC

Number of posts : 14648
Registration date : 2008-08-05

http://forums.theonlineracingassociation.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ATR DAN Fri 3 Feb 2012 - 9:07

Being such a fanboy, I agree with the Lola Aston. Very Happy

How about the BAR Honda 006 from 2004? It wasn't the best but it had the nicest sounding V10 engine ever I think.

The best cars/bikes to never win a world championship Bar_0010

ATR DAN
ATR DAN

TORA Race Number : 7
Xbox One Xbox 360

Number of posts : 4872
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Fri 3 Feb 2012 - 9:11

Agree with that one.
The car was on par with the Ferrari that eventually won the championship. Jenson's performance at Imola proves that. The time difference between Schumacher in the best car and Jenson in the 'underdog' was negligable. If the Jenson of today was in that car, he would have won the championship. No question.
I would also argue that the BAR Honda from 2005 was also incredibly good and worthy of winning too. Jense put in some fantastic performances then too in a year when Renault realy was in ascendance. Remember the very close finish at Monaco with Trulli!!

The best cars/bikes to never win a world championship EwVLgo3
The best cars/bikes to never win a world championship Beechdsig_zps2e9ae73f
Matt
Matt

TORA Race Number : 10
Xbox One PC

Number of posts : 14648
Registration date : 2008-08-05

http://forums.theonlineracingassociation.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CQR Rogue Fri 3 Feb 2012 - 9:55

Ferrari 512 car to take on mighty 917

&

Porsche LMP LMP2000 dam you Audi I have to wait almost 15 years for porsches return to Le Mans in 2014

The best cars/bikes to never win a world championship 2666031

Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting
CQR Rogue
CQR Rogue

TORA Race Number : 47
Xbox One PC

Number of posts : 15745
Registration date : 2008-08-16

http://www.theonlineracingassociation.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down