TORA - The Online Racing Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» ANNOUNCING EZT MOTORSPORT SPECRACING SERIES 2 (FM)
Worst speeding ticket? - Page 2 EmptyMon 22 Apr 2024 - 16:59 by EZT Neo 45

» Nasal8405 Bout Me
Worst speeding ticket? - Page 2 EmptySun 21 Apr 2024 - 10:12 by EZT MAKO 6669

» New to League Racing!
Worst speeding ticket? - Page 2 EmptyMon 27 Nov 2023 - 15:18 by EZT MAKO 6669

» Returning driver IBlueIJaBBRexI
Worst speeding ticket? - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Nov 2023 - 14:53 by EZT MAKO 6669

» Hello
Worst speeding ticket? - Page 2 EmptyMon 6 Nov 2023 - 0:25 by Rudie

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Stints
Worst speeding ticket? - Page 2 EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 22:04 by zrolizac

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Qualifying
Worst speeding ticket? - Page 2 EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 22:00 by zrolizac

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Live Timing
Worst speeding ticket? - Page 2 EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 21:57 by zrolizac

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Carlist and Build Rules
Worst speeding ticket? - Page 2 EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 21:50 by zrolizac

Facebook

Worst speeding ticket?

+14
Aanenvaimennin
scoobymeister
Crisis Nine
Richy59
LMR DarthMario
ckBrenneke
pHR Marchie
culchi
Biggsy tv
Pebb
XTI Jon Snow
XTI Avenger
Matt
HCR generaltso
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Worst speeding ticket? - Page 2 Empty Re: Worst speeding ticket?

Post by XTI Avenger Tue 11 Aug 2009 - 3:35

Lol, I have to wait till 16 to get a license and after that, who knows what the rest of the rules are. If I play my cards right, Ill get a Cavalier that might have some potential.
XTI Avenger
XTI Avenger

Number of posts : 994
Registration date : 2009-03-26

http://xtiracing.homeip.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by HCR generaltso Tue 11 Aug 2009 - 4:34

in VA you could have your permit at 15 and license at 15 and 6 months.

my gramps had a moped i had that i could ride at 8, i was a tall kid so that helped. i loved that thing.

i was driving my dads 5-speed jeep on dirt roads at 11

they lived in the country so it was easier.
HCR generaltso
HCR generaltso

TORA Race Number : 12
Xbox One PC

Number of posts : 5771
Registration date : 2009-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by BrnoutJerzey Tue 11 Aug 2009 - 5:08

oh, I live in an urban area, so that's not going to happen, lol

yeah I heard Jersey is tied with some other state with the highest age for driving- I guess the most densely populated state also is most dense with idiot drivers, lol I really wish I could drive, I take driver's Ed next year tho
BrnoutJerzey
BrnoutJerzey

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Crisis Nine Tue 11 Aug 2009 - 8:32

BrnoutJerzey wrote:the only thing I've done so far is stall a Mazda

One of the funniest things i've read in ages!

Crisis Nine

TORA Race Number : 152
Number of posts : 2192
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by its troff Tue 11 Aug 2009 - 8:59

I'm still amazed you can drive a car at 15 but aren't considered responsible enough to buy a drink for another 6 years.
its troff
its troff

Number of posts : 1042

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyf1 Tue 11 Aug 2009 - 10:37

BrnoutJerzey wrote:

you guys are all so lucky, the only thing I've done so far is stall a Mazda

Much better than driving with the handbrake on in a FIAT Punto '98 for 3 metres Wink

Seriously, I hate the rules here, i have till late next year when im 17 Sad
nickyf1
nickyf1

TORA Race Number : 271
Xbox One Xbox 360

Number of posts : 10770
Registration date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by ckBrenneke Tue 11 Aug 2009 - 11:47

I was at work , when I was given a works van to go to another store to get stuff. Having never driven a van, I couldn't work out what I was doing wrong when every time I came off the accelerator, the van was just slowing suddenly.

Got it out the yard, round the corner, up the street, through a busy set of traffic lights, and then decided to stop and find out what was wrong. I pulled over, looked around the controls for something I had missed. Not being able to work it out, I told the guy with me I didn't know what was wrong and threw my hands up in despair. As my left hand came back down, I unconciously put it on the handbrake... which was in the up position.

I have never lived that down at work.
ckBrenneke
ckBrenneke

Number of posts : 3856
Registration date : 2008-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post by XTI Avenger Tue 11 Aug 2009 - 13:42

its troff wrote:I'm still amazed you can drive a car at 15 but aren't considered responsible enough to buy a drink for another 6 years.
Amen.
XTI Avenger
XTI Avenger

Back to top Go down

Post by ckBrenneke Tue 11 Aug 2009 - 13:56

Personally I think that's way too young for anyone to be driving a car.

I think it should be 18 at least here in the UK and abroad.

My dad being a firefighter, he saw too many silly kids who thought they were invincible. He cut too many young bodies from wrecks. Couple that with the local and national newspapers reporting weekly the crashes involving people under the age of 20 or newly passed their test.

The thing is that they often take out innocent people with their recklessness and brash driving. People should realise that when they are handed the keys to a car having passed their test, they are taking control of a potentially dangerous weapon.

But there's too much of an invincibility complex and 'it'll never happen to me.' Tell that to the three boys sitting in a wrecked car with broken necks. Or the family who lost their father when a pair of youths decided to have a race and hit the guys car head on. Or the woman who had both her legs amputated when a car mounted the pavement and slammed into her while she sat having lunch on a park bench.

Sorry to put a dampner on this thread, but these things need perspective. It's very exciting to pass your test and the freedom owning a car brings. But if you crash at 70mph+ there ain't much that's gonna protect you. You don't have rollcages in a road car. Especially in a supermini or compact car.

I did not learn to drive until 5 years ago. I passed not long before my 26th birthday. I am very glad I waited as I have never been involved in a bump, crash or ding of any kind - although my cars are scratched to buggery thanks to the missus and the terrible roads in the UK. And I have a reputation as a fast driver among the people that know me.
ckBrenneke
ckBrenneke

Back to top Go down

Post by pHR Marchie Tue 11 Aug 2009 - 15:15

ckBrenneke wrote:Personally I think that's way too young for anyone to be driving a car.

I think it should be 18 at least here in the UK and abroad.

My dad being a firefighter, he saw too many silly kids who thought they were invincible. He cut too many young bodies from wrecks. Couple that with the local and national newspapers reporting weekly the crashes involving people under the age of 20 or newly passed their test.

The thing is that they often take out innocent people with their recklessness and brash driving. People should realise that when they are handed the keys to a car having passed their test, they are taking control of a potentially dangerous weapon.

But there's too much of an invincibility complex and 'it'll never happen to me.' Tell that to the three boys sitting in a wrecked car with broken necks. Or the family who lost their father when a pair of youths decided to have a race and hit the guys car head on. Or the woman who had both her legs amputated when a car mounted the pavement and slammed into her while she sat having lunch on a park bench.

Sorry to put a dampner on this thread, but these things need perspective. It's very exciting to pass your test and the freedom owning a car brings. But if you crash at 70mph+ there ain't much that's gonna protect you. You don't have rollcages in a road car. Especially in a supermini or compact car.

I did not learn to drive until 5 years ago. I passed not long before my 26th birthday. I am very glad I waited as I have never been involved in a bump, crash or ding of any kind - although my cars are scratched to buggery thanks to the missus and the terrible roads in the UK. And I have a reputation as a fast driver among the people that know me.

Its not about age, its about responsibility.

I'm only 18, 17 when when I passed. Never had a scratch, never touched a curb, and havent even stalled since learning Wink

I would describe myself as a good driver even though im young. Countless times have I had to dodge 20-30 years olds who think they can overtake, swerving into my path. Ive seen people not looking right at roundabouts, and ive even seen a crash right infront of me, and I can tell you they were definatly over 20 years old.

responsibility > age.

I hate agism comments Smile

Though....anything under 16 is too young to drive :d
pHR Marchie
pHR Marchie

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2009-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Richy59 Tue 11 Aug 2009 - 15:19

Nearly 21 and not had any sort of bump or crash or anything like that, so as Marchie says responsibility > age

...although I have been caught speeding and got 4 points since it was rather fast...so thats the responsibility > age argument out of the window Razz
Richy59
Richy59

TORA Race Number : 20
Xbox One Playstation 4

Number of posts : 13799
Registration date : 2008-08-18

http://www.theonlineracingassociation.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Tue 11 Aug 2009 - 15:40

The only thing I'll say about that ck is that OLDER drivers are just as bad.
My part of the world is filled with them and they don't signal, pull out randomly, change lanes without warning and worst of all do 20mph in a national speed limit area. Fine of on an open road but when you're talking about high banked country lanes with blind spots and unsighted corners they're asking for trouble.
Yes ALOT of young people have terrible accidents but look at the cars they're driing. Because inurance is so high they often have to buy much older cars which also therefore have much worse safety standards than the cars of today. A head on crash between say, a modern 'sewing machine' like a Suzuki Swift and an L reg rust bucket with hardly any major safety features who's coming off worst?
It's swings and roundabouts I know but if younger drivers were able to afford newer cars with better protection then there certainly wouldnt be as many fatalities IMO because quite simply they would have the protection to save them.
As it goes this simply isn't the case. And I just can't tell you how many times some old codger has driven through a shop window down my way because he's forgotten where 1st gear is. They think because they're old they know it all too. They don't accept their awareness and reaction time might be reduced.
My grandad was an instructor for many many years, he was diagnosed with alsheimers aswell as cancer and as soon as he realised his driving was impaired he stopped. For other people's safety as well as his own.
It's NOT all about the young ones driving like idiots, other generations have alot to answer for too.
Matt
Matt

TORA Race Number : 10
Xbox One PC

Number of posts : 14648

http://forums.theonlineracingassociation.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ckBrenneke Tue 11 Aug 2009 - 15:48

And are you going to tell me that a 17 year old is more responsible than a 40 year old? Tell you what, the insurance companies wouldn't agree. Why on earth would insurance premiums be so high for younger drivers if you could just say 'yeah, but I'm responsible.'

I am not saying every teenager is a bad'un, or that older folk don't have accidents (I've been in a car with my 86 year old grandfather, scary stuff!). But the statistics are clear. And I have my entitled opinion.

The age limit should be 18 at least.
ckBrenneke
ckBrenneke

Back to top Go down

Post by pHR Marchie Tue 11 Aug 2009 - 15:53

ckBrenneke wrote:And are you going to tell me that a 17 year old is more responsible than a 40 year old? Tell you what, the insurance companies wouldn't agree. Why on earth would insurance premiums be so high for younger drivers if you could just say 'yeah, but I'm responsible.'

I am not saying every teenager is a bad'un, or that older folk don't have accidents (I've been in a car with my 86 year old grandfather, scary stuff!). But the statistics are clear. And I have my entitled opinion.

The age limit should be 18 at least.

I certainly didnt say a 17 year old is more responsible. I said that no matter what age you are, responsibility is a bigger factor in how good a driver you are...
pHR Marchie
pHR Marchie

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2009-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Richy59 Tue 11 Aug 2009 - 15:55

People in Falkirk just can't use the indicator stick...
Richy59
Richy59

Xbox One Playstation 4

Back to top Go down

Post by XTI Avenger Tue 11 Aug 2009 - 16:29

ckBrenneke wrote:The age limit should be 18 at least.

It was rumored that would be the case in America, but nothing yet.
XTI Avenger
XTI Avenger

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOW tubbi Tue 11 Aug 2009 - 17:01

Maybe this will help a bit, I was a totally twatty 17 yr old when passing oh so many years ago and the mini 1275 i bought got ragged nutless and had a big accident.
Then i bought an old XRpoo, which duley got ragged as well, as the magistrate was handing out yet more points for my collecting, he remarked ' find an outlet lad or you'l kill someone'.
Bugger me if he wasn't right, i took up stockcar racing at bovingdon raceway and moved fairly quickly up to 2.0 hot rods (mazda323 with a lotus lump), all of that said, this is what was acheived:
I didn't drive so fast on the road coz all the racing was done on a track,
I got better at judging speeds and distances and the tollerances of the car ands tyres,
My insurance actually came done when i produced my racing licence to them,
I was now more aware of just how violent a crash was and WHY we wear a full race harness and neck brace, and how exposed to injury you really are in a wrap over seat belt.

Moral of the story, you can race a car at a track for as little as £500.oo all inclusive, take it out on the track not the inocent bystander pulling his face out of your bonnet.

AND remember this, pay attention its very important, i'l use your mum as an example, if you are in an accident, and you kill your mum, how will you feel when you tell the rest of the family.
PLOW tubbi
PLOW tubbi

Number of posts : 1763
Registration date : 2008-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOW tubbi Tue 11 Aug 2009 - 17:13

There also a very good upside to racing at a local track, nothing prepares you for the mind blowing rush when you are sitting in the grid mid pack with 30 other nut-cases all reving ready to try and beat you to the first corner, then the flag drops and you floor it desperatly trying not to spin em up too much, you get to the first corner and the non-contact formula suddenly goes out the window as the rubbing and bumping starts, you glance off the guy in front and make a good exit out of the corner, you rev the nuts off it trying to get just that extra bit of power out of it down the straight,
then you start to brake and you know you,ve left it just a bit late as you saw in the rear-view on entering the corner a guy trying to run the kerb to get down the inside of you for another RUB, you both exit at the same speed and alongside each other.
Oh my god, ......................it takes just 25 secs to get round a lap and there's 12 laps ................. and you swear youv'e held your breath the entire race.
Try out a race day for the thrill, i can guarantee you'll love it. Very Happy
PLOW tubbi
PLOW tubbi

Number of posts : 1763
Registration date : 2008-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Richy59 Tue 11 Aug 2009 - 17:45

Thats it, I'm taking up Stock car racing.
Richy59
Richy59

Xbox One Playstation 4

Back to top Go down

Post by HCR generaltso Tue 11 Aug 2009 - 18:01

there are plenty of defensive driving classes that you can take here america that will lower your insurance premiums.

or even get out on an autocross track. that way you'll at least learn better car control.

DMR and i just turned 25 not long ago.

lower insurance!!!

and CK, i understand what you're saying about the accident thing. when i got my big speeding ticket 7 years ago, the state trooper and judge made it perfectly clear to me that what i was doing was stupid and dangerous.

havent gotten a ticket since and i drive like a grandma everywhere i go.
HCR generaltso
HCR generaltso

Xbox One PC

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Tue 11 Aug 2009 - 18:35

My missus (SuperDuff) says the same about me Sad
I just like to drive to my fuel tank, lack of money kinda makes it a necessity Sad
I had my time of driving like a tit but to be honest circuit racing was better for me and I enjoy it more.
I have NEVER driven dangerously, I always drive within the abilities of the car and myself. I think thats where some people get it wrong. They get an uber powerful car but don't have the skill sets to control it.
Matt
Matt

TORA Race Number : 10
Xbox One PC

Number of posts : 14648

http://forums.theonlineracingassociation.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BrnoutJerzey Tue 11 Aug 2009 - 18:44

Crisis Nine wrote:
BrnoutJerzey wrote:the only thing I've done so far is stall a Mazda

One of the funniest things i've read in ages!
hehe Laughing

what did you get your license suspended for 3 years for?

its troff wrote:I'm still amazed you can drive a car at 15 but aren't considered responsible enough to buy a drink for another 6 years.
isn't that ridiculous? I mean, you could possibly kill people if you're not responsible enough by driving and it's a whole lot less likely you'll kill someone just because your drunk.. (not in a car of course)
BrnoutJerzey
BrnoutJerzey

Number of posts : 485

Back to top Go down

Post by HCR generaltso Tue 11 Aug 2009 - 19:31

you can buy a gun in america under 21 too.

completely silly.
HCR generaltso
HCR generaltso

Xbox One PC

Back to top Go down

Post by its troff Wed 12 Aug 2009 - 6:24

gen3ral ts0 wrote:you can buy a gun in america under 21 too.

completely silly.

The age or the fact the general public can own one? Wink
its troff
its troff

Number of posts : 1042

Back to top Go down

Post by XTI Jon Snow Wed 12 Aug 2009 - 14:12

Considering where i live, most people who own a gun are married to thier cousins, both
XTI Jon Snow
XTI Jon Snow

TORA Race Number : 199
Number of posts : 2680
Registration date : 2009-03-22

http://xtiforums.myfreeforum.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2