TORA - The Online Racing Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» ANNOUNCING EZT MOTORSPORT SPECRACING SERIES 2 (FM)
ATR drivers blogs EmptyMon 22 Apr 2024 - 16:59 by EZT Neo 45

» Nasal8405 Bout Me
ATR drivers blogs EmptySun 21 Apr 2024 - 10:12 by EZT MAKO 6669

» New to League Racing!
ATR drivers blogs EmptyMon 27 Nov 2023 - 15:18 by EZT MAKO 6669

» Returning driver IBlueIJaBBRexI
ATR drivers blogs EmptyTue 14 Nov 2023 - 14:53 by EZT MAKO 6669

» Hello
ATR drivers blogs EmptyMon 6 Nov 2023 - 0:25 by Rudie

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Stints
ATR drivers blogs EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 22:04 by zrolizac

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Qualifying
ATR drivers blogs EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 22:00 by zrolizac

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Live Timing
ATR drivers blogs EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 21:57 by zrolizac

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Carlist and Build Rules
ATR drivers blogs EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 21:50 by zrolizac

Facebook

ATR drivers blogs

Go down

ATR drivers blogs Empty ATR drivers blogs

Hello one and all.
I hope that everyone is wrapping up warm now that the temperatures have decided to drop all of a sudden.

Speaking of plummiting, this last month in motorsport has been a testing time for everyone involved. Whether you're a team manager, driver, a mechanic, technician or even a fan of the sport, the death of a driver is always a tragedy. But to lose someone who is well loved and highly respected, then words really can't explain the emotions you feel inside. Certainly, the deaths of Marco Simoncelli and Dan Wheldon has shocked the world over. It's certainly been the most tragic time for the sport as a whole since the death of Ayrton Senna back in 1994; in terms of an impact a drivers death has around the world.
It also makes you realise just how cruel life can be, especially when something bad happens to a person who doesn't deserve any misfortune or bad luck. The only consilation to these accidents is that Marco and Dan both perished doing something that they both loved. But it doesn't mean that our hearts haven't been ripped out and stamped on because believe me, they have.
Even though it's been nearly three weeks since Dan was killed at Las Vegas, I can still get very emotional, particularly if I watch the exellent TORA tribute video that Simon has put together. You've produced a stunning video mate, well done! It was a great tribute to a man who was not only a great racing driver, but also a very kind and generous human being. The deal at Las Vegas where he would share the $5m prize with a fan if he'd won from the back of the grid showed the character of the man as a whole. There are not many people like Dan out there in todays modern society and he's been a massive loss to motorsport as well as the world. My thoughts are still with his family, his wife and their two young children who will grow up without a father. I hope god will give you strength during this difficult time.

It was certainly a real priviledge to take part in the salute to Dan last Sunday evening. It was a shame that we didn't have the budget to do such a thing for real. But it doesn't matter! It shows what real spirit everyone has to show their respects for possibly the best british racing driver of our generation.
It was also an honour to win both races in the Dan Wheldon cup at Indianapolis in the Ferrari 458 Challenge. Winning such events leaves you with a bitter sweet feeling because of the driver that the race is named after. I remember having the same memories back in 2009 at the last round of the TORA GT's. Because not only did ATR win the race and the championship, it was the first race which was re-named the Henry Surtees Memorial Trophy after Henry's death a few weeks earlier at Brands Hatch.
For the rest of the 458 challenge, I'm gonna honour the late Dan Wheldon still by carrying his name and number on my car, despite changing the livery to what I was planning to use in the series. Here's a couple of pics:

ATR drivers blogs Forza110

ATR drivers blogs Forza111

Whilst I'm still feeling downbeat, I thought it would be best if I turn my attentions to the touring car championship. Seeing that I was disqalified from the last round, I would like to congratulate NickyF1 who's inherited the drivers title from me, and further congtratulate M&M for the teams championship.
I think that this season as a whole (before the incidents of Sedona) has been a complete shambles to be honest. And has certainly the most controversial moment of my time here with The Online Racing Association. As a results of various issues both on and off the circuit, it has put me off the touring cars all together. As far as I'm concerned, I'm finished and done with the Touring Car Championship. If honestly is what people want from me, then this is what you're getting. If Chris (GTR Evoluzione) and silentalarm42 want to carry on in the series, that's fine by me and I'll support you guys 100%. I will help to prepare and test the cars for each race meeting as I've done in last seasons TCC.
From now on, my main priority with ATR is going to be in the ISCC and GT series. The touring cars has left a very damp impression for me because of last season. I'll just stick to watching the british touring car championship instead.
I'm not looking for a fight or an arguement, but I wanted to express what happened at the time now that the series has finished. Also, I understand that a lot of the incidents during the series (including my disqualification from Sedona) was my fault, and no matter what you think of my skills, I know that I'm not perfect. I've never claimed to be perfect. And I don't care if you're even a member of such big teams like VVV, WWR, PLOW, SBR, EZT etc. No one is perfect!!

This weekend sees the second round of the 458 challenge hosted at Infineon Raceway. I can't wait. Its a great circuit with lots of variation changes, slow corners and fast chicanes. I'm hoping this track will suit me well once again just like Indianapolis, but I do expect some competiton. Particularly from my great team mate and fellow member of ATR, Mark (Rollin InAn STi). He's always been either matching me or is just a fraction behind myself. Forza Motorsport 4 is suiting Johnny really nicely so he'll be another ATR driver to watch out for. Depending if he'll turn up, but Duncan is another racer to keep an eye out for in the rear view mirror. Very experienced and quick at the same time. All I can say is roll on tomorrow. It's a pitty that our other ATR member (Connor) won't be turning up to this event. But I hope that he'll make a comback for round 3.

As far as plans go for ATR in 2012, it hasn't been finalised as of yet. There's still one or two options to work out, but it's looking very promising for our organisation next year. All the drivers will be represented in all of the major championships including one which I won't be taking part in (The Touring Cars).
In the ISCC, its very likely that ATR will be setting up two LMP1 teams using both Lola's (Mazda and Aston Martin) and will also be collaborating with Mushroom Kingdom Racers for an entry in GT. Choice of car will probably be the Ferrari 458 now that Turn 10 have officially announced it in the new car pack in November. Pitty not all of the GT field is in the car pack, but it's a start.
When the plans have been finalised and agreed with everyone in ATR, then I shall release a statement announcing who will be in which team and driving what.

And one last message before I finish off this drivers blog. But this time on a more possitive mote. I would like to further my congratulations to Duncan and his wife on the birth of their son, Hudson Nico Ray. Lets hope all goes well for you both and for your son to have a safe and bright future ahead of him.

Good luck to everyone participating in the second round of the 458 challenge tomorrow and I'll be looking forward to seeing you all on the track.
ATR DAN
ATR DAN

TORA Race Number : 7
Xbox One Xbox 360

Number of posts : 4872
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

ATR drivers blogs :: Comments

VVV GunDaM

Post Sat 29 Oct 2011 - 23:42 by VVV GunDaM

>My face when you were disqualified for bugger all
ATR drivers blogs 130915237920

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 30 Oct 2011 - 0:24 by johnnyboy360

That 458 race really made me see how much the game has helped me improve how well I race. I mean I started 6th and at the first corner I was 2nd. I drive with every single car, including the R1s, with TCS and STM off. Yes, OFF! Now in FM3, I would be all over the place, now with FM4, it just suits my driving style perfectly, I can easily go round a corner at decent speed with TCS off. So just to reiterate what Dan said;
Forza Motorsport 4 is suiting Johnny really nicely so he'll be another ATR driver to watch out for.
HELL YEAH!!!

Back to top Go down

Biggsy tv

Post Sun 30 Oct 2011 - 0:31 by Biggsy tv

[quote="Vengeance is Rippin"]>My face when you were disqualified for bugger all]/quote]

wut?

Back to top Go down

ATR DAN

Post Sun 30 Oct 2011 - 8:14 by ATR DAN

Ben, don't you read peoples posts? I was disqualified for a very good reason. And I'm certainly not preparing to make an objection against it either. Besides, it was issues prior to the last round at Sedona that has put me off from competing in the touring car series. I don't want to go through those kind of experiences ever again.

I just hope that the TCC wasn't the only reason for viewing this blog? Sad

Back to top Go down

Ax4x Chaddy

Post Sun 30 Oct 2011 - 9:13 by Ax4x Chaddy

so in the iscc ATR and MKR are together? if so 1st ive heard of it

Back to top Go down

ATR DAN

Post Sun 30 Oct 2011 - 11:29 by ATR DAN

FranchittiFan wrote:so in the iscc ATR and MKR are together? if so 1st ive heard of it

I'm surprised Mark hasn't mentioned anything to you. But now that you know, is it such a bad thing? We can be represented in all the categories in the ISCC. Also, another great advantage is the amount of testing time we can have to evaluate and help each other out. It's certainly gonna be a major project, but I do believe that with a great team effort from everyone involved, I think that you, I, Matt, Mark, Connor, Johnny, Ben and Chris (GTR) can suceed in 2012. Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

nickyf1

Post Sun 30 Oct 2011 - 11:48 by nickyf1

That sort of DQ isn't the way in which i'd like to win the championship, but I guess it's done now. This years TCC certainly is not a good example of how to race, I feel as if a lot of other top drivers got away with a lot of shoddy driving over the season, dismissing it as ''touring car racing''.. What Dan did was certainly no better or worse than what other drivers (myself included, I must say) were doing throughout the season, and that's why the stewards inquiry from Sedona bothers me.

But hey, good luck with Forza 4 mate, I do look forward to battling with you again Dan, you were one of the cleaner drivers to race against this season. My hat goes off to you mate Wink

Back to top Go down

VVV GunDaM

Post Sun 30 Oct 2011 - 11:49 by VVV GunDaM

ATR DAN wrote:Ben, don't you read peoples posts? I was disqualified for a very good reason. And I'm certainly not preparing to make an objection against it either. Besides, it was issues prior to the last round at Sedona that has put me off from competing in the touring car series. I don't want to go through those kind of experiences ever again.

I just hope that the TCC wasn't the only reason for viewing this blog? Sad

Not really. And I didnt come here for TCC, because Ive been caught in my own controversy as well.

Back to top Go down

ATR DAN

Post Sun 30 Oct 2011 - 23:01 by ATR DAN

nickyf1 wrote:This years TCC certainly is not a good example of how to race, I feel as if a lot of other top drivers got away with a lot of shoddy driving over the season, dismissing it as ''touring car racing''.. What Dan did was certainly no better or worse than what other drivers (myself included, I must say) were doing throughout the season, and that's why the stewards inquiry from Sedona bothers me.

Yeah well. I can't really express my opinions about this can I? Because I'll be in deep [Censored] if I tell what I really think about this years TCC.
I'm just gald that we've finished and done with Forza 3 and I hope that Forza 4 can be a new chapter and people can get off my back!

nickyf1 wrote:But hey, good luck with Forza 4 mate, I do look forward to battling with you again Dan, you were one of the cleaner drivers to race against this season. My hat goes off to you mate Wink

Cheers mate. I wish you all the best of luck for Forza 4 as well. The Wheldon 500 race was also super clean and fun as well. I thoroughly enjoyed that one.

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 30 Oct 2011 - 23:23 by johnnyboy360

Tonight's 458 race was quite good, although I got nowhere! My own fault! Silly mistakes again! But that's some points at least! We finished F1 really early tonight because we started at 7.45! No one else was coming in so we thought, "What the hell! Let's go!" So I messages Simon and he invited me in! Thanks again Simon!

Back to top Go down

ATR DAN

Post Mon 31 Oct 2011 - 13:43 by ATR DAN

Johnny, I think you've posted in the wrong thread mate. lol! Razz

Back to top Go down

ATR DAN

Post Mon 31 Oct 2011 - 15:16 by ATR DAN

I've just been working out some stats last night! Sleep
I know there's probably a few races which are unaccounted; mainly because I've forgotten them. But working it out last night after victory in race 2 of the 458's, that was my 60th TORA career victory since I joined in 2008. Shocked
One of which I was surprised to remember was the only time I driven for the team owned by TORA returnee Highcroft:

ATR drivers blogs 98b71410

Pitty I missed the 50th but it's never too late to thank everyone who I've raced with over the years for making this forum such a great place to race. Yes, there has been much controversy of late, but there's never been an environment where I can call home. I shall be looking forward to our 2012 series here with TORA and I wish everyone a lot of sucess for the future; here and also in the real world. Very Happy

Many thanks to all of my team mates; past and present for the amount of sucess that we've achieved together over the years. Also, I'm still thankful to the guys who ran UPR Motorsports (Marchie and Kris) back in 2008/2009 who gave me my big break with TORA to show what I am capable of doing on the circuit.

Finally, I would like to give a big thanks to our TORA president, Matt Hunter for giving me the biggest pleasure of my time here in TORA by joining partnership with his team and suceeding! Taking on the big teams when we probably didn't have a snow flakes chance. I'm sorry we lost us one of the titles in the touring cars recently, but I'm extra determined to put things right and bring us more sucess in the future.

Last edited by ATR DAN on Mon 31 Oct 2011 - 16:19; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 31 Oct 2011 - 16:06 by johnnyboy360

ATR DAN wrote:Johnny, I think you've posted in the wrong thread mate. lol! Razz

Not really? I thought ATR drivers could use this thread to talk about recent races? Must be mistaken...

Back to top Go down

ATR DAN

Post Mon 31 Oct 2011 - 16:08 by ATR DAN

johnnyboy360 wrote:

Not really? I thought ATR drivers could use this thread to talk about recent races? Must be mistaken...

Ignore me! Sorry mate. You're more than welcome to post in here.

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 31 Oct 2011 - 16:09 by johnnyboy360

ATR DAN wrote:
johnnyboy360 wrote:

Ignore me, sorry mate. You're more than welcome to post in here.

Lol, no worries! I meant to post in here!

Back to top Go down

ATR DAN

Post Mon 31 Oct 2011 - 16:20 by ATR DAN

Apologies. I got my stats wrong cause I've forgot to include this season's TASCAR. Post updated. Razz

Back to top Go down

ATR DAN

Post Mon 21 Nov 2011 - 16:14 by ATR DAN

Hello one and all here at TORA.

I would like to kick things off by greeting our newest members of TORA that have joined us this past month. I know there's too many to mention but it's awesome to see our numbers increase by the week. Hello guys and I hope you're enjoying your time here with us so far.
Also, I would like to welcome back XTI here to TORA. A long time coming but it's exciting to see some old favourites return and we hope it's a permanent stay. All we need to do now is try and bring back Vibe Entertainments Racing and things will be perfect.
And from the greetings comes the farewell or goodbye message to JohnnyBoy360. Obviously, no matter how many incidents occured on the forums with him over the last few weeks, he has been a great team mate. One positive memory I won't ever forget is you fantastic drive through to second place in last season's ISCC at Sunset Peninsula where you and I scored a one two finish. I would like to wish Johnny well for the future!

So much has happened since we recieved our copies of Forza Motorsport 4 last month and thus far, I'm loving the transition from the old game to the new. I can't give a 500 word essay as to why but I think the new driving model/physics is suiting my driving style and it's obviously paying off. I knew that I have the ability and belief in myself anyway, but sucess as you guys know is very hard to achieve. But so far, so good!

Speaking of achievements, I couldn't see after losing the Touring Car Championship how I was ever going to have the same level of confidence that has brought myself and ATR any championships in the past. But I thought "Sod it!". It's finished and done with! Even before the Ferrari 458 Challenge series started, I was going to take a break from racing to see if I can gain the confidence back into my driving as well as come back as a stronger person. However, the sad death of Dan Wheldon and the 458 series opener at Indianapolis (named after Dan) wasn't something I was going to miss. And as it turned out, it was the right decision for me to change my mind. Winning both races in the season opener was bitter sweet. It reminded me of the time I won the Henry Surtees Memorial Trophy which was the last round of the 2009 GT3 Championship. What great memories!
I'm hope that I've proved to TORA that the incident in the touring cars was just a faze and I've shown what I'm capable of behind the wheel. To show that I can race fair and clean which I have done (most of the time) for the last three years. I'm hope that clinching the Ferrari 458 Championship has proved that? I'm still surprised and shocked at how competitive I was in that series because there was a field of really class drivers taking part in this championship. Simon, Chris, Conner, Mark, Ian, Duncan; just to name a few. Accomplishing this series is a huge sigh of relief and has lifted my spirits back up once again and I cannot thank everyone enough who congratulated me on winning this championship. I want to share my sucess with you guys as well as dedicate this title to Dan Wheldon who's name and number was planted on my car for the entire series.

I think this new found energy has transitioned nicely into the other championships which I'm participating in, starting with the GT24 championship. I'll have to admit at this stage of the series that I don't think the Aston Martin Virage was the right choice. And I would like to apologise to my team mates Matt and Conner. There has been a couple of issues with the car which I'm still trying to resolve but I'm not exactly the best tuner ever am I? lol
The first issue which is a crippling factor about the Aston is the lack of straight line speed. I was running with a power build with 597bhp around Sebring and we was still slow. But on the advice given by F4H Koenigsegg, I'll see if a load more torque will resolve that one. The second issue is the brakes! We can't fit racing discs on so we're having to lumber around with the standard ones. But I shall plod on when I get chance to fix these little niggles. But as for my results, they were much better than I was expecting. Third place at the Hockenheimring was certainly a result I could dream off as I felt I had to overdrive the car to produce that result.
Sebring wasn't as sucessful, but I recieved some damage just two corners into the start of the race and I was nursing an understeery Aston for the entireity of it. Who knows if I could have made another position or two, but fifth place was again a result to be pleased with I think.
Having taken a break from racing for a while, I think Matt is doing ok so far. I still feel it's my fault providing the car which isn't to his liking, particularly with the understeer it sometimes produces. But if I can get my knuckles down improving the car, I feel that he and Connor as well can have a better season.

Finally, I want to talk about the the new ISCC season. WOW! What a race meeting that was. Netting pole position by six hundreds of a second was a real surprise as I feel that F4H Bullet was a tough opponent to try and defeat. And sure enough as I found out in the race, he was. Sticking close to my tale for nearly an hour and twenty minutes was very painful. Not only was my head hurting by the amount of concentration, but my arms and fingers were in agony. So when I crossed the finish line to take the chequered flag, I was ready to shout out and yell because it was such a huge relief to cross the line in first place after a lengthy battle like that. I would like to thank and give my congrats to F4H Bullet for that epic tustle as well his second place finish. Well done also to Mark and Ian for their class wins.
And, I'm really sorry I couldn't reply back to you during the meeting, but after F4H Bullet left the pits for his final pit-stops, some of you guys gave me that extra encouragement and said "Well Done Dan! Great Drive." after I managed to pull out a lead after the final stops. I think it might have been Conner, Louis, Chirs and Simon. But many thanks for that lads. It meant a lot and I really appreciated it. After I made my second tyre change, I just drove the wheels off my Lola Aston to see if I could jump Bullet at the stops; even on the first lap out of the pits I was pushing. And it paid off!

Many thanks for taking your time to read this blog. I'll try and see if I can write one up monthly but we'll see what spare time I can find. I tried looking behind the sofa (couch) but it was useless! lol
Cheers guys.
Daniel Austins a.k.a ATR DAN

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down