TORA - The Online Racing Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» ANNOUNCING EZT MOTORSPORT SPECRACING SERIES 2 (FM)
Need for Speed Shift 2 Unleashed - Page 35 EmptyMon 22 Apr 2024 - 16:59 by EZT Neo 45

» Nasal8405 Bout Me
Need for Speed Shift 2 Unleashed - Page 35 EmptySun 21 Apr 2024 - 10:12 by EZT MAKO 6669

» New to League Racing!
Need for Speed Shift 2 Unleashed - Page 35 EmptyMon 27 Nov 2023 - 15:18 by EZT MAKO 6669

» Returning driver IBlueIJaBBRexI
Need for Speed Shift 2 Unleashed - Page 35 EmptyTue 14 Nov 2023 - 14:53 by EZT MAKO 6669

» Hello
Need for Speed Shift 2 Unleashed - Page 35 EmptyMon 6 Nov 2023 - 0:25 by Rudie

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Stints
Need for Speed Shift 2 Unleashed - Page 35 EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 22:04 by zrolizac

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Qualifying
Need for Speed Shift 2 Unleashed - Page 35 EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 22:00 by zrolizac

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Live Timing
Need for Speed Shift 2 Unleashed - Page 35 EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 21:57 by zrolizac

» NAFFCAR Enduro - Carlist and Build Rules
Need for Speed Shift 2 Unleashed - Page 35 EmptyThu 2 Nov 2023 - 21:50 by zrolizac

Facebook

Need for Speed Shift 2 Unleashed

+34
Stonewall458
CQR The Butcher
F4H Bullet
VVV Grimm
Biggsy tv
JeffH16
i redbeard
AAR PacMan
CQR Senna
narboza22
VVV GunDaM
its troff
Crisis Nine
AMR of the Apex
JAMIE ANDERS0N
Bob Dixon 76
TG Wormburner
ATR DAN
ART Carrera
F4H Carrera
XTI Avenger
Pebb
LMR DarthMario
AMR JSlim
Radiation Louis
ckBrenneke
Ax4x Chaddy
HCR generaltso
CQR Rogue
CQR Aero
Matt
Richy59
nickyf1
lfcnicklfc
38 posters

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Need for Speed Shift 2 Unleashed - Page 35 Empty Re: Need for Speed Shift 2 Unleashed

Post by Guest Sun 10 Apr 2011 - 22:11

Totally agree bobcat, it's a superb game - most visceral and exciting racing game I've played in years!

I've refrained from posting in this thread until now as I wanted to get far enough with the game to make an informed opinion about it. It takes quite a few hours to get used to the handling, because it does feel very different from Forza, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as arcadey. After driving with Forza's handling model for hundreds of hours, it takes time to adjust. The cars you start off with aren't upgraded, have way too high tyre pressures and too soft springs and drive like bouncy castles, but once you upgrade the cars and tune them they handle really well. The GT cars are breathtakingly good, amazing sense of speed and I actually feel like I'm in a racing car unlike Forza's R-class cars which I've never taken to.

Getting the controller settings right is crucial - especially for people who've got years of Forza experience. It's a well known fact that on the controller, Forza uses a 'controller buffer' or 'controller filtering' to automatically reduce the steering lock when correcting a car (you can see this on the telemetry where the corrections don't match up with the inputs on the controller). This makes it very easy to catch the car when it starts to lose traction. Shift 2 doesn't do this, and it's down to the driver to correct the car themselves, so you just can't get away with being rough and aggressive like you can on Forza and this takes time to adjust to. I've been experimenting with different steering deadzone, sensitivity and speed sensitivity settings and the best for me (and most Forza like) are:

Steering deadzone: 15%
Steering sensitivity: 35%
Speed sensitivity: 85%

Reducing the steering lock (in the tuning section) improves stability, as does stiffening the suspension. I recorded a video using the above settings, firstly in a C-class Caterham so you can see how the steering inputs are mirrored by the front tyres moving, correctly responding to the opposite lock and corrections, unlike Forza's artificial buffering of the controller inputs. The second clip is in the GT3 Porsche, cars jostling for position into the first corner, battling it out under the bridge and retaking me again into the hairpin. (sorry poor quality, laptop webcam!)

As for the rest of the game, well the graphics are superb, sounds are quite incredible (especially in Dolby Digital 5.1) and the Autolog and career mode are excellent too. The track list is quite frankly astounding, I've still not driven all the tracks, and every one I've been to has been great. I've been racing with the games producer (Tom Curtis) and Lead Designer (Andy Tudor) a few times over the past week, really good to actually get to race with the developers and chat about the game, bugs that need fixing etc. A couple of things they told me were that they never wanted to put any drifting in the game, but it was enforced on them by EA (but thankfully limited to just those 10 events). The 'marble getting stuck under the car' feature is a bug and will be fixed in an update and the current level 20 cap will be increased at some point.

So the game gets a big thumbs up from me - it's not Forza, and that's not a criticism, it's something entirely different and good in it's own right, and with any luck will give Turn 10 a few things to think about for their next game.

Cheers

Mark

Cerberus F1

Twitter: @CerberusF1

Back to top Go down

Need for Speed Shift 2 Unleashed - Page 35 Empty Re: Need for Speed Shift 2 Unleashed

Post by Richy59 Sun 10 Apr 2011 - 22:14

Nice write up Cerberus, well put forward.

I have a question though regarding tuning. I can't really tune. I have a basic understanding of it but I'm not great at it. If this game requires cars to be tuned then are there any basic tips on getting them to be more realistic?
Richy59
Richy59

TORA Race Number : 20
Xbox One Playstation 4

Number of posts : 13799
Registration date : 2008-08-18

http://www.theonlineracingassociation.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Sun 10 Apr 2011 - 22:18

Very thoughtful review and well put.
Our review will be out in the podcast tomorrow evening. For those who want to have their input on the show the Chatbox will be open for comment from 8pm BST tomorrow Smile
Matt
Matt

TORA Race Number : 10
Xbox One PC

Number of posts : 14648
Registration date : 2008-08-05

http://forums.theonlineracingassociation.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 10 Apr 2011 - 22:29

Richy wrote:I have a question though regarding tuning. I can't really tune. I have a basic understanding of it but I'm not great at it. If this game requires cars to be tuned then are there any basic tips on getting them to be more realistic?

By default, most the cars seem to have too high tyre pressures, high ride height and soft suspension - just changing those things makes a massive difference. I bring the tyres down to around 35, reduce the ride height a couple of clicks and increase the suspension stiffness 2 clicks front and rear. The tuning works very much like Forza, just some of the terminology and values are different, e.g. soften the front sway bar (rollbar) to reduce understeer. To be honest, I've not really done any in-depth tuning with diffs and dampers etc, most of the time I just want to get on the track and race!

Matt wrote:Very thoughtful review and well put.
Our review will be out in the podcast tomorrow evening. For those who want to have their input on the show the Chatbox will be open for comment from 8pm BST tomorrow Smile

Cheers Matt, I shall listen with interest Very Happy Most of the criticism of the game seems to stem from the fact that it doesn't feel like Forza, but I think that's the same for most other racing games - GT5, iRacing, etc, it takes time to learn how the cars handle and react to the controller inputs. For me, it started to click after about 3 days, I got past that mental barrier of analysing what I was doing with my fingers and just started to drive naturally as I do on Forza, and I think that's the biggest hurdle, getting comfortable with something that feels different. But different certainly doesn't make it bad!

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Dixon 76 Sun 10 Apr 2011 - 22:52

Richy wrote:

I have a question though regarding tuning. I can't really tune. I have a basic understanding of it but I'm not great at it. If this game requires cars to be tuned then are there any basic tips on getting them to be more realistic?

I found the best thing to do is to pick a car and a track preferably an easy one and try and get the best possible time or feeling you can out of the car by tweaking and re-tweaking doing this you will learn what different things do. i.e rear springs fast bump etc it as helped me on both this and forza.

ps. nice write up magicturbo

Bob Dixon 76

TORA Race Number : 620
Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2011-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Dixon 76 Mon 11 Apr 2011 - 12:42

sick of guys glitching times just been in a party with the guy who,s no 1 on monza and he showed me what he did to get the time,I,m in two minds to go and do it 6 seconds quicker than mine and magics ,will there be any hope of the developers sortin this,i dont think so

Bob Dixon 76

Back to top Go down

Post by Richy59 Mon 11 Apr 2011 - 12:45

You never know, Bungie resets leaderboards from time to time if people start finding ways of getting silly scores or doing the impossible. The NFS team might be the same.
Richy59
Richy59

Xbox One Playstation 4

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyf1 Mon 11 Apr 2011 - 12:46

That happened with Race Pro back in the days of the ''fast glitch'', they sorted out the glitch, but never sorted out the leaderboards..

If Simbin can fix something, i'm pretty sure EA can! Razz
nickyf1
nickyf1

TORA Race Number : 271
Xbox One Xbox 360

Number of posts : 10770
Registration date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Apr 2011 - 12:51

I asked the lead designer Andy Tudor last week what was going to happen with the glitch times and he said they were working on a solution and they think they can remove them without doing a full leaderboard wipe.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Dixon 76 Mon 11 Apr 2011 - 12:53

i really hope they sort it,this could be a game recker for me,i reckon other people will feel the same way.

Bob Dixon 76

Back to top Go down

Post by Richy59 Mon 11 Apr 2011 - 20:28

Richy59
Richy59

Xbox One Playstation 4

Back to top Go down

Post by CQR Aero Tue 12 Apr 2011 - 12:27

Virtualr.net has just posted their review for the game. See what you think:

http://www.virtualr.net/need-for-speed-shift-2-unleased-review/
CQR Aero
CQR Aero

TORA Race Number : 80
Xbox One PC

Number of posts : 6084
Registration date : 2009-06-22

http://www.chrissiddallmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Richy59 Tue 12 Apr 2011 - 13:19

We did out review last night on the Podcat. Give it a listen and tell us what you think. iirc we gave it a 7/10.
Richy59
Richy59

Xbox One Playstation 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Tue 12 Apr 2011 - 20:59

Looks like they like it then Smile
Matt
Matt

TORA Race Number : 10
Xbox One PC

Number of posts : 14648
Registration date : 2008-08-05

http://forums.theonlineracingassociation.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TG Wormburner Tue 12 Apr 2011 - 23:13

I would love it if they would fix the steering!!! Cmon...pretty please!
TG Wormburner
TG Wormburner

TORA Race Number : 750
Xbox One PC

Number of posts : 1797
Registration date : 2011-01-10

http://teamgizmo.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Dixon 76 Tue 12 Apr 2011 - 23:20

VVV worm wrote:I would love it if they would fix the steering!!! Cmon...pretty please!

lol and the glitches

Bob Dixon 76

Back to top Go down

Post by F4H Bullet Wed 13 Apr 2011 - 19:08

Will be picking up this game today during lunch. Very Happy
F4H Bullet
F4H Bullet

TORA Race Number : 15
Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2011-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by F4H Carrera Wed 13 Apr 2011 - 20:11

going from shift 2 to driving on forza is so hard! Was all over the place!
F4H Carrera
F4H Carrera

TORA Race Number : 60
Xbox One Xbox 360

Number of posts : 844
Registration date : 2011-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebb Thu 14 Apr 2011 - 4:58

EZT Ash wrote:going from shift 2 to driving on forza is so hard! Was all over the place!
The weight of the cars don't help, because it is like the Shift 2 cars are light. While having a spring installed. But will I buy the game, after renting it out.

Well my answer is no, because quite a few events have annoyed me. Which is a rare thing for me in racing games. Along with that, the following isn't pleasing:

*AI
*Some of the track's - I feel Shift 2 has ruined the Green Hell name.

Pebb

Xbox One Playstation 4

Number of posts : 1679
Registration date : 2008-08-14

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pebb/

Back to top Go down

Post by nickyf1 Thu 14 Apr 2011 - 18:36

nickyf1
nickyf1

TORA Race Number : 271
Xbox One Xbox 360

Number of posts : 10770
Registration date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by HCR generaltso Thu 14 Apr 2011 - 19:43

i hope this helps the steering!
HCR generaltso
HCR generaltso

TORA Race Number : 12
Xbox One PC

Number of posts : 5771
Registration date : 2009-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by CQR Rogue Thu 14 Apr 2011 - 21:37

Sad thats a pc patch only
CQR Rogue
CQR Rogue

TORA Race Number : 47
Xbox One PC

Number of posts : 15745
Registration date : 2008-08-16

http://www.theonlineracingassociation.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by HCR generaltso Thu 14 Apr 2011 - 22:02

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
HCR generaltso
HCR generaltso

Xbox One PC

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Dixon 76 Thu 14 Apr 2011 - 22:19

novelty is waring off faster than the Lamborghini going down the monza strait!! might be traded in pretty soon

Bob Dixon 76

Back to top Go down

Post by HCR generaltso Thu 14 Apr 2011 - 22:26

i thought a touring car series on this might be good.

FWD cars are way easier to drive on here than the RWD cars.
HCR generaltso
HCR generaltso

Xbox One PC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next